How to remove jet fin original buckles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthernShrinkage:
Dont forget to use a nail punch or something close once the new pins are in to round over the ends so they wont pop out
Ever had one pop out?
I've had my Jets on springs for a good while now--never mushroomed the pin and they've never come out. Can't imagine them coming out, either...

Ever had one pop out?
Just because it has never happened to a particular individual does not mean it can't (We drill for OOA all the time). Loosing a strap is pretty uncomfortable, I say peen em'

When I swapped over, I put my channel-lock pliers through the inside and then pulled the pliers open. The buckles just pop apart that way, and your channel-lock pliers will be right there if you have crimp-in spring straps.

Note: If you use this method to pry the buckles open, be sure the slider isn't on the finward side of the pliers. Reinforcing that side makes it considerably harder to pry open... not that it took me more than the first buckle to figure that out or anything. :D

Scuba and Dream:
I can;t seem to be able to get the pins to come off the original jet fin buckles, I tried just about everything. I am installing spring straps and they need to come off.
Just take a big solid cutter and cut the buckles in two and they're gone... you don't need them for mounting ss spring straps! See the last two photographs on my page http://www.torpedo.be/springs.html (it's in Dutch, but the photographs are "multilingual"...)... you only need a saw blade to get the slits and a pair of stainless steels bolts and nuts and the spring straps are perfectly and securely fitted...

SparticleBrane:
Ever had one pop out?
I've had my Jets on springs for a good while now--never mushroomed the pin and they've never come out. Can't imagine them coming out, either...

My buddy had a Halcyon one pop out (when he was getting onto the boat luckily)
After that, he flattened his pins off (like I had told him too)

Some kinds (manta ?) dont need that though as you just crush them.

I just squeezed the end or middle of the buckle with a pair of wide jaw pliers until it popped. You can first pry off the middle pin to make it smoother.

thats the way i did it

all i needed was i wide jaw pliers to remove the buckle and install the springs

it took me 2 minutes

thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom