How to remove jet fin original buckles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaAndDreams

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Did a search, could not find any info.

I can;t seem to be able to get the pins to come off the original jet fin buckles, I tried just about everything. I am installing spring straps and they need to come off.

I am sure there are some here that have done this already, any advise?

Thanks

get your dremel tool out, put a small grinding disk on it, and grind off the end of the pin. Pretty simple. then pry the buckle open a little and out come the pin, do the same to both sides your all set.

to install the springs, install the pin and use a center punch to mushroom pin.

Scuba and Dream:
Did a search, could not find any info.

I can;t seem to be able to get the pins to come off the original jet fin buckles, I tried just about everything. I am installing spring straps and they need to come off.

I am sure there are some here that have done this already, any advise?

Thanks

Duckster way works well. You can also just rip them in two with a couple pair of pliers.

Big needle nose, or needle nose vise grips. The parts are brass, wiggle, wiggle snap!

Just don't tear the rubber on the fin

Tobin

I just squeezed the end or middle of the buckle with a pair of wide jaw pliers until it popped. You can first pry off the middle pin to make it smoother.

buckle1.jpg

buckle2.jpg

Dremel....But, actually depending on the tool...

I could save and reuse the buckles for the spring straps....:wink:

My bolt cutters when through them in ~ 0.43 seconds.

BTW, if you are making Jackie-Smith style spring straps, which require you to use a new buckle fitted backwards, you can avoid bending the buckle when trying to re-insert in it the rubber by spraying it with a little silicone lubricant.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom