How to put on a wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

::Nitro:fish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have always been told there are no stupid questions. Well, I feel silly asking this but how do I put on my wetsuit? I am new to diving and have only had 2 pool classes so far, but I really enjoy everything I am learning and am taking this seriously.

I bought a Neosport 7mm Farmer John with a 7mm Step in Jacket. The Farmer Johns do not zipper so it looks like I gotta squeeze into this thing. I have the most trouble fitting my calves down the legs. It is really tight around the ankles and the knee pads. Is this normal or should I get a larger size?

The Step in Jacket is also very tight around the arms. My palms turned white and my veins became a bit more visible. Is this normal? Will this go away when I get into the water?

Sorry for what may seem silly, but I'd really like to know if this is normal.

Thanks for your replies

Get plastic shopping bags, wrap your feet in them, step in. Those help a lot.

Another thing is pantyhose. I'm told pantyhose helps a lot.

Lastly, baby shampoo. But I don't like this method.

It doesn't have to be graceful :)

::Nitro:fish,

Think pantyhose. With the suit rolled inside out except for the very bottom of the legs get your feet through the leg openings and pull the cuff up to where it will rest, perhaps the ball of your ankle. Now slowly roll the legs of the suit up over your legs. When you reach the knees make sure the pads are facing front and center. Before going on wiggle it into alignment if needed. Now keep going up your thighs. Flip it over your touche checking the fit as you go. Then up the torso and close the shoulder straps.

Rolling it on is the key. With practice you will not be fussing or fighting. For the suit to fit right it should fit with a hint of compression. If you have good freedom of movement and your breathing is not disturbed the fit is not too tight. After a session or dive in the suit expect to see the seam stitching imprinted in your skin like pillow lines.

The jacket fit may be of slight concern but my just be the result of you being exasperated from the ordeal. Once you settled down how did your hands feel during class? If this were OK once in the water then it may have just been because the suit had not normalized to your contours. Some divers like to wet the suit first as a lubricant. I like to use some suit snott (1/3 cheap hair conditioner & 2/3 water in a spray bottle) to help my arms settle in right off. This may go over like a fart in church around the pool. My wife's custom 7mm suit was a little too tight right at the wrist cuffs. Stuffing a tennis ball into each for a week did the trick.

It's not uncommon for divers with a particularly developed body part to fall outside the norm of the suit pattern. Within reason suits will stretch and conform somewhat to the diver and ease some of the stresses.

Enjoy the rest of your class and you were right... There are no stupid questions.

Pete

If anyone invented a well fitting wet suit you can put on gracefully, they'd probably be pretty popular. For entertainment, you might want to have a look at this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/near-misses-lessons-learned/140626-close-call-dressing-room.html

The Farmer Johns do not zipper so it looks like I gotta squeeze into this thing. I have the most trouble fitting my calves down the legs. It is really tight around the ankles and the knee pads. Is this normal or should I get a larger size?

Hard to say without seeing you in person. The best I can offer is that there shouldn't be much slack for water to flow through, but at the same time, shouldn't be restricting your circulation. (Risk of DCS.) From your description, it sounds a little on the tight side, but that's only an impression from your description of your feeling. :eyebrow:
As you may already be aware of, some people find they have to try several brands as well as sizes, to find a suit that fits their body shape well.

The Step in Jacket is also very tight around the arms. My palms turned white and my veins became a bit more visible. Is this normal? Will this go away when I get into the water?

Palms turning white sounds more definitely like circulation is being affected.

Good luck.

Ask your lds about a thin skin to wear under. The only way I will get to dive in winter is to use one. So I decided to spend the 40 bucks to see if id slip into it with less hassel and it works. Well the wife tried it and she has to get one..

I learned that a lycra rash guard has helped putting on and taking off my wetsuit. Also it seems all wetsuit break in after a while of using them.

Wow! thanks for all the helpful input. I tried putting it on inside out and what a difference! I think I need a larger size, but now I know how to put on a wetsuit. I cannot thank you all enough for this invaluable advice!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom