how to properly log a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello everyone, new to scuba diving just got my open water diver card...

I have a very basic computer (mares puck, not the pro) that records dives, although I think I can't download the dive profile from this model.
I aalso registered myself at diveboard.com where I can log dives. I also have the paper log from PADI of course.
I see that to be granted access to advanced classes one needs a number of properly logged dives. What does this mean in today's paperless world? What does a dive-shop want to see?

Leo

First, you should be able to download the Puck to a computer. You will need the interface cable and that didn't come with the Puck if I recall correctly (got mine a few years ago.) It's a Drak USB interface cable.

I've had dive shops ask to see my log book when I first dive with them. After the first time, I don't get asked to see it even for subsequent classes. And they aren't keeping track of my dives after the first time so I think it's probably more establishing some level of initial credibility when first diving with a new shop (albeit, minimal credibility since anything can be written in a logbook.) but after that it's based on their observation of your diving skills and comfort in the water.

Carl

As everyone else already said, You don't have to log anything, and most of those who log probably just log the statistics.

But
if you want to take just a tiny effort, even a few sentences about a dive can be fun to have. I usually note the basics you get from a computer, plus who I buddied with, where we went and then just a bit about the dive. A I enjoy noting who else was there with us that day and anything taht was esp. fun or interesting, even valuable information such as "Lost another lens cover", "3 crayfish" or "Kevin brought sausages & beer" or just "night dive! ;-)". The only reason for the extra effort is fun. It's amazing how quickly it gets to be long enough ago that the 2-3 words or 2-3 sentences is nice to have.

BTW
if I'm buddied with someone fairly new to the sport that I expect to see more of, I will often note what equipment they had (generally tank size & dry suit or wet suit) and how much weight. New people esp. young folks often don't bother/remember to note these things. It saves my time & trouble next time, so I make the note.

I keep a detailed log book for a few reasons. I like to track my progress as far as how long I can get out if a tank. It is interesting to see your progress as a diver. In thirty dives I have doubled my bottom time and removed 9 lbs from my b weight belt. I keep info on what we did where we went if I need to work on a skill etc. In the unlikely case I am asked for it I have one. I will caution you on just a electronic version. I used a great a nice app for my phone to log and stopped paper logging. Worked great till last week when my phone died. I lost 17 dives of information. Luckilly they are stored in my computer and could get some information. Be sure if you go the electronic route you can back it up somewhere else also.

What does this mean in today's paperless world?

What paperless world?

Rule no 1 of electronic data, back up and back up your back up, and when data storage changes back up before transferring to the new system.

I have a friend who lost years of electronic logs when she attempted to transfer the data from a PC to a Mac

Personally I use paper although I have logged some electronically I cannot do this when traveling and like my log book stamped, signed etc. plus it seems to take more time for some reason.

As for showing log books with logged dives, well I had to do that for the last two courses that I took (PADI Self Reliant in 2012 and more recently my IANTD Advanced Recreational Trimix course). Traveling to some places may also require you to show a log book, although I only carry the current year's worth of pages as I archive the previous year during January. If I turn up somewhere in January or February I am unlikely to have many logged dives in my book. What probably helps me is that my C cards are so old the photos are in black and white :D

What to log is up to you. I print all my own pages for a customised log relating primarily to photography (key subjects photographed, lens used, strobes used etc.), but also take note of tanks used, gas consumed, weight used, water temperature, exposure protection.

You might consider using a program like macdive or similar that integrates with your Puck - and also with iOS. I have found it useful to make notes on my ipad/iphone during a trip and then copy/paste them into Macdive once I'm back home and sync'd up. But if you're one to like to get the stamp from the dive shop/boat/charter, maybe that's not for you. I love the integration function.

My favorite solution so far, better than all of the free (and not free) logbook programs, is Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet. I use it in conjunction with the Microsoft OneDrive (cloud service thing) and keep a backup on my desktop, that gets backed up (I can, so why not?). It allows me to add any data I want that I care about, and remove whatever I don't. I typically don't care for tracking gas consumption any more....and I know exactly what exposure suit I'm wearing when I say "Drysuit" I don't have to check everything off. Same with "Shore, Sea, boat, river, fresh, salt" options. I put the location, if it's Jackson Blue....I know it was a shore dive in fresh water with no chop (it's a cave). If I say "John D Gill" I know it was a salt, boat, choppy dive (it's a wreck). It's a lot smaller than the "written" log books, you can see like 80 dives on a typical screen. Every dive has a "Notes" section for general thoughts, and I have a chart for different gear configs and corresponding weights, so I can track those as well...but I don't have to write it down EVERY DIVE anymore. Now that I've got a PC transfer for my computer, I've got that as well, and I correlate the dives on my computer with the dives on my Excel spreadsheet.

My wife and I also write all of our dives down on paper, in the binder that we keep all of our certs in, just to keep it all together.

A big advantage of just using a little Wetnotes booklet is that it's so easy... I don't "have" to fill in 20 blanks...date, time, depth, gasses and anything noteworthy. I've diving 40 years and have logged every dive I've done... and it's good fun looking back on the early ones.

My Petral computer uploads logs easily, but was we all know, "stuff happens" to electronic everything. I suppose I could lose a book, but I never have.

As an aside, here's one advantage of logging... http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/481956-40-years-later.html

From one of my SB blog entries:

....I actually log every dive in a log book that has actual pages. I have logged every dive I have ever been on that was in a lake or the ocean. Pool dives don't get logged because they are not dives in my book. I log the date, location, dive site name, time in, time out, air consumption, gear used, exposure suit worn, weight used, and water and air temperature. I also note if the dive was from a boat or shore, and I note any current or surge or surf issues. I even note my weight, which can vary enough from from time to time to affect the weight I will use for diving. I note who I dove with, and I write down what we did and saw. I have never regretted doing this, and I intend to continue to do it. From my dive log I have created a weighting chart for various locations, gear worn, exposure suit worn, and how much weight I used when properly weighted. I also note my own weight as it can vary enough to impact proper weighting now and then. If I am diving in a fresh water lake here in Colorado in a semi-dry suit with a hood and gloves, with an 80 AL tank, I know what weight to use. I can look it up. I can do the same when planning for a dive in a 3 mil wetsuit with no hood or gloves, using a different bc, in warm salt water. In my log I also note whether I was cold on a dive, especially after the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th dive of the day, so I will know if I need to "dress warmer" next time out. My weighting and exposure suit charts are each valuable tools for planning a local dive outing or a trip to a far away dive destination.
In between dive trips, I tally total underwater time and average time per dive. I keep a summary sheet of number of dives to different depth ranges. (under 30, 30-39, 40-49, on up to 130 + ) I note the number of dives at different destinations, and other nerdy stats when I review and read my log book. I put a lot of information in it. It's also full of diver contact information and stickers and stamps from dive boats, dive shops and liveaboards around the world. I even have my own stamp to mark other diver's' logs if they want. All of those things are for my personal use. I like to read my log book from time to time, and refer to it for material when I have a public appearance or book signing coming up. I sometimes take it, actually I take "them" as I have several volumes compiled, to those appearances. People seem to like to look through the logs, as many pages are really colorful, some are funny, and others just interesting.
I also use my log to show dive operators where I last dove, and the extent of my experience, life long as well as recent, so there is no hassle over doing any given dive. This is a really good reason to keep an up-to- date dive log. Some dives require a showing of recent diving in similar conditions, or a certain number of dives. In addition, if you ever opt to "go pro," you will need to document your dive experience in this way. And once you are a pro, it's still a good idea to keep your dive log current for both personal as well as professional reasons.
Digital downloads or not, I log my dives with a pen and log sheets, and I log them every day. I get basic data off my computer, and fill in the rest while I still remember it. I encourage you to keep a log book, and fill it with useful as well as fun stuff. You will be glad you did!
DivemasterDennis

In thirty dives I have doubled my bottom time and removed 9 lbs from my b weight belt.

Interesting, I understand the increased bottom time due to less air consumption, but what about the reduced weights? Is it just a trimming process or correlated to experience?

i agree with the above. over the years my dive log has turned into a dive journal with all those things above scuba-boarders have mentioned.........i do keep a dive log online for back up but mostly use paper logs.......and yes i have been asked by charters / dive shops to see my log...my question is that an invasion of privacy...(just asking) ( smile)

Back
Top Bottom