how to pressure group / deep dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M_D - Most of my diving is in flooded quarries & local lakes. Avg dives range from around 30' to 65'. Since I dive a single AL-80, deco isn't really an issue. I'm definitely not looking at any "Serious Deco". lol

I was just curious.

Genesis once bubbled...
I'll echo what has been said already - this was grossly unsafe.

Diving off another's computer is an absolute no-no. Its one of the better ways to get bent, for one thing, especially when diving deep and long.

But there isn't anything wrong with dive training right? and he was following his instructor!
This crap and worse happens every day all over the world ...just SOP.

I think the thing to remember here, while some of you are busting adjusters butt over this, is that he was in a class and he did what the instructor wanted him to do. Exceeding the limit of depth by 10 feet isn't unheard of. Anyone here go below 60 before they did aow? Go below 130 after aow? I know I have.

Do you suggest that students refuse to do what the instructor wants and asks you to do? I mean if he was being taken well below the 100 foot mark it would make some sense. But 10 feet? Come on, some of you guys are turning into scuba nazis here:)

OK, flame me now, I can take it :wink:

adjuster-jd once bubbled...
I just completed my AOW training on Maui and for our deep dive, we went to 110 feet (BTW great visibility at Molokini even at depth). Our total time in the water was 31 minutes. Obviously, this was not all at 110 feet as we swam around quite a bit.

We then had a surface interval about 1:20 minutes followed by 32 minutes in the water at maximum dept of 82 feet.

My question is: How do I log the pressure group for these dives in my log book. I won't be diving today, so I guess I'm back to using tables, but I hate to have blank spaces in my log book.

Thanks.

After the first dive (assuming you did decompression of 2 minutes at 20 ft and 21 minutes at 10 feet) according to the USN tables, you would be L after this dive, after the 1:10 surface INterval you would be a H (which adds 33 minutes to your next dive at 82 feet) Therefore your next dive is actually 65 minutes when you add the Residual Nitrogen Minutes.. After this dive you would need to do a 7 min decomp stop at 20 ft and a 30 minute decomp stop at 10 feet, and you would be an N at the end of dive 2.

IMHO very dangerous diving practices.

Dale

Dive 2 you already have 24 minutes (max time there is 79 minutes

taking someone below 100', or 10' for that matter, sharing a computer is unsafe period. The instructor should be turned into padi, and the diver should brush up on his reading before blindly following someone, who put his life in danger. just my .02

Texass once bubbled...
This is the first I've heard of any PADI table that includes Deco obligations. I did a quick Google search without any luck. Is there any chance you could post a scan of the table you're using?

Thanks,

Here is a link to a US Navy Dive tablees that I use, that do have Decomp info.

US NAvy Tables (PDF FORMAT)

Dale

jiveturkey once bubbled...

I don't know what your certification agency is but if it's PADI, aren't you supposed to learn how to use the Wheel as required learning to pass the AOW? Isn't this the course you were taking?

I just completed PADI AOW, and one of the dives was the deep dive to 77'. I was not required, nor was I asked, to plan a dive using the wheel.

I have a computer, but planned the dive using a square profile.

Texass once bubbled...
"Emergency Decompression - If a no-decompression limit is exceeded by no more than 5 mins, an 8-min decompression stop at 15 ft is mandatory. (...) If a no-decompression limit is exceeded by more than 5 mins, a 15-ft decompression stop of no less than 15 mins is urged."
It also states that after surfacing in the first case, the diver should remain out of the water for a minimum of 6 hours before making another dive, and 24 in the second...so if using tables and assuming a square profile, there should have been no second dive.

Interesting to note just how much more conservative the current RDP NDLs are compared to the table Jeff posted from circa 1988 - 4 min less at 110' and 60 min at 40'. :eek:

Although I agree that adjuster-jd shouldn't just blindly follow, is this not the reason that any of us seek out training in the first place? To expand our knowledge, better our skills, and become safer. Thus, we put ourselves in the trust of the instructors we learn with. In this instance I would say that the instructor grossly went outside of standards (discussed in previous replies and below).

Biscuit-7...

there is a simple reason it is not in the 'Skills Overview' section which you referred to as:

PADI logbook and looked at the dive skills for the Deep Adventure Dive and Guess What!!!!

The reason is that planning a dive is considered a "General Open Water Consideration", and as quoted below states:

4) Student divers must plan the dive using the Recreational Dive Planner or their personal dive computers, and conduct the dive within the limits of their plan.

This is in bold, which indicates it is a STANDARD, and thus MUST be completed in order for an instructor to certify the student. Thus although it may not be stated in your skills, it is and must be done by any instructor who is an RPSI (reasonably prudent scuba instructor).

Hope this helps you out Rachel...

On a side note, adjuster-jd, you did not complete all the requirements, and thus I would write PADI and explain the situation. I did so with my open water scuba instructor, and he had his instructor rating revoked.

Martin

The scuba nazis are running wild... Befor drawing and quartering Adj and his instructor, let's all ..Stop, Breathe, Think, and then maybe, act. We weren't there, 10 feet isn't a big deal if it means a protected sandy bottom area to stop and do the math problem, this instructor probably does this same scenario at least 100 times a year, knows how long it takes, knows there's a ton of time left over before closing in on the ndl, could do it conservatively even if the computer failed, from knowing where in the scenario he is and how much air he has remaining. "Everyone should have their own computer" is mitigated by being under direct supervision, the instructor will always keep a student shallower than himself. Adj mentions swimming around a while, the skills part of the dive take all of about 5 minutes, so you know they came up to 80 feet for a while and then progressively shallower, all the while the instructor watching for narcosis and loss of bouyancy or control. I seriously doubt Adj was put in any undue danger, and the statistics for training related accidents support me.

Darlene

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom