How to plan for Panhandle (conditions) ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlmightyApkallu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all.

I've recently moved to the PCB area and have been out diving a handful of times. Unfortunately Christmas has put a bit of a damper on my diving but I hope to get back out after the first of the year. I've been to Vortex and Morrison a number of times and the Jetties once. I know with the Jetties you're supposed to dive as close to slack tide as possible and at Morrison you want to wait at least a week after any rain for good conditions, but what about other dive sites?

I've been wanting to go out to the Navarre reef, I've heard of an underwater museum near Grayton and a few other dive sites like the Destin Jetties, but how do you know if the conditions will be favorable? I also plan on doing some boat diving but again, I don't want to go out in soup, I want to see stuff. I heard something, some where about the prevailing winds blowing NE help on most of the shore dives, is this true? I'm also guessing calm ocean conditions probably help, as does sunny weather? After rain, does the gulf take a certain amount of time to correct itself? What about St. Andrews? When is the absolute best time? I went out once about an hour before slack tide and the viz was about 5-10 feet. Saw some cool stuff but it was calm, sunny and close to slack tide, what was I doing wrong?

Just trying to learn what to look for to make the most out of my excursions. Thanks for any help!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom