How to plan for Komodo or Raja

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've noticed White Manta is well above twice the price of the cheaper liveaboards. I don't necessarily have an issue with the price, but I do want to know what I am paying for and what I risk on a cheaper trip. I don't care about my cabin or for a 'luxury' boat, but I do want good dive masters going to the right places.

I appreciate the offer, but cannot commit to 2024 dates, at least not yet. Right now, my plan is to wait until Indonesia is COVID restriction free (which might be early 2022 or after 2025), then book whatever fits my schedule, hopefully no more than 6 months ahead. If I do a central or southern Raja route, what months am I limited to?

From what I've read on the Internet, Sorong used to be the main way into Raja Ampat, and the Waisai airport was supposed to replace that and make things easier to get to. But most liveaboards still seem to be out of Sorong, and I don't understand why or if I should have a preference.

Something else you all might consider for traveling during Covid, I now include (1) the required quarantine days upon arrival, (2) travel insurance with Covid rider, and (3) have contingency plan of being quarantined for positive Covid test upon arrival and / or before flying home. That’s is the new normal for my international traveling.

So far, I avoid going to country with (1), including Indonesia. I might need to do that this coming February, as I plan to board a boat in Phuket on February 15.

For cost saving, I bought an annual coverage for (2), since I travel a lot (9 times this year).

I add a week for (3). So far I haven’t contracted any Covid, yet, during all of those trips, knock on wood.

I just came back from Palau, which requires PCR test 3 days prior outbound flight to Koror, antigen tests upon arrival, on 5th day after arrival and a day prior to inbound flight home. Tested negative to all of those 4 tests. I was told there was a guest who was tested positive on the 3rd test (after 5 days in Palau). She & the whole crew had to be quarantined for 5 days and had to be tested negative before they could return home / work.

So, please have that contingency plan in your vacation itinerary.

I was hoping COVID would be over before this trip. I went to Egypt and Mexico in 2021, and while great, they exhausted my funds and time off work and I had a really difficult air travel both ways for both trips. December 2022 is much more realistic than February 2022, but I do want to start thinking about this now, especially if it ends up being a more complicated trip.

As I said earlier, more than 2 weeks is not an option for me.

I have also been on La Galigo, Temukira, Amira, Tarata and Pearl of Papua. They are all good boats with experience guides for RA.

For less expensive liveaboard, you may check Grand Komodo fleet (Temukira, Putri Papua, Raja Ampat Explorer & Tarata).

The reality is I probably have to choose based on availability. If there is a $6000 liveaboard and a $1000 liveaboard, and only 1 open spot between them, my choice is either to take it or stay home. If it's the $6000 liveaboard, I can probably decided just by looking at my bank balance. But if it is dirt cheap, am I in luck? Am I on a one way trip to the bottom of the Pacific or spending quality time bonding with a volleyball named Wilson?

Worst realistic scenario is probably finding out my liveaboard is cancelled on the flight from Jakarta to Sorong. If that happens, is taking a ferry to Waisai a realistic option for land based scuba? I know someone said Waisai is too far away, but I don't see any scuba resorts in Sorong or many other reasons to spend a 2 week vacation in Sorong.

Worst realistic scenario is probably finding out my liveaboard is cancelled on the flight from Jakarta to Sorong. If that happens, is taking a ferry to Waisai a realistic option for land based scuba? I know someone said Waisai is too far away, but I don't see any scuba resorts in Sorong or many other reasons to spend a 2 week vacation in Sorong.
Waisai would take no more than 3 hour speed boat ride from So-wrong. I’ve stayed in Raja4 Divers, in Pulau Pef, which is further away from Waisai and it only took me 3.5 hour boat ride from Sorong. Trip Report - Pulau Pef - Little Raja Ampat Trip Report

There are many excellent dive resorts within 2 hour speed boat ride from Sorong, Raja Ampat Dive Lodge, Kri Eco Resort, Papua Diving, Sorido Bay, etc. Even Misool Eco Resort on the Southern Raja Ampat only takes 4 hour speed boat ride.

The problem you are going to run into is that most if not all the resorts Dan mentioned will be booked solid once Indo opens up. I tried to book a few days in Lembeh before my next scheduled trip in Dec 2022 and the resort I wanted was fully booked. Ended up changing to Alor, but that was also difficult to find space for. A last minute spot might be available, but IMHO you are taking a big risk - unless you are willing to take literally anything that is available. Might work out, but given the number of deferred trips i doubt it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom