Question How to not panic/tunnel vision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mercracing

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I have an embarrassing story and hopefully others here have some helpful insights. I am a fairly new diver with 70 some dives. I recently was taking my rescue class. We were in a local quarry I’ve dove many times. It was my turn to play the out of air diver. So as the other rescue student swims up to me I toss my reg and signal out of air. The other student fumbled enough getting his secondary and by the time he’s got it half way to my face, my mind is screaming I’m actually out of air(completely forgetting the nearly full tank strapped to my back). I grabbed his secondary and pushed the purge and sipped the bubbles enough to calm my brain. I’ve dove since then, but obviously don’t have out of air situations.

All that to say/ask this. When I look back, I’m frustrated with myself for fixating on the air the student was trying to hand me, forgetting the TWO sources of air I had myself. Moving forward, does anyone have suggestions to avoid the tunnel vision I seemed to have?

In this particular instance, don’t take your reg out of your mouth until your donner reg is in your face. Even if it’s not supplying you air, it will keep you from ingesting water, and in a practice situation, it makes it much easier to take a sip of air, continue the drill, and you can critique later on the surface why you needed that sip.

You are already taking the first step in correcting yourself. You are looking back seeing what went wrong & possible solutions to correct the issue. I will echo what is written above. Don't take your reg out till you have another one.

Yeah SEVENTY DIVES, see the size of it in bold, that is heaps of dives and maybe it's around your time where

So as the other rescue student swims up to me I toss my reg and signal out of air.

if you had removed your reg instead, and held it tightly being mindful that the donor may not make it to you
rather than casually tossing it, although I do not see how you could be so complacent during a rescue course
it wouldn't have happened, anyway you are here you got a shock it won't happen again, and if you add a few
more hiccup preventers into your diving, you will avoid those too, and become a safer thinking persons diver

I will go in the opposite direction of others.

This exercise has the purpose of preparing you for REAL OOG scenarios. So you would need to stay calm and not panic in THAT situation - who cares in training where everything is actually under control?

I remember I read some scientific research explaining that overtraining is one of the best practices to help you in emergencies (this is basically what people working in extreme conditions do, like rescuers or military). So my suggestion is simple: just practice more.
  • Repeat this exercise (and other useful ones, like SMB deployment, valve drill if you practice it, laying lines underwater, etc.) as much as you can; just remember to dive more for fun than for training :)
  • Get used to staying with the reg out of your mouth; count seconds if it makes you feel better (surely you can manage 30 seconds without the reg, even more, most likely)
More advanced (do them with an instructor with you) that will make you feel more comfortable when you face problems:
  • Whenever you have a problem underwater, even during exercises at 3m, try to solve it first, and only later ascend; you can even "create" problems
  • Move step by step to more complex exercises

All that to say/ask this. When I look back, I’m frustrated with myself for fixating on the air the student was trying to hand me, forgetting the TWO sources of air I had myself. Moving forward, does anyone have suggestions to avoid the tunnel vision I seemed to have?

That's a fantastic lesson learned! The fact is that you cannot breathe water and as humans we're both fickle and prone to panicking. For a Rescue Diver course, that's bang on the money (even though you didn't think it at the time!).

Diving is lots of little events that add up to experience, all of which makes you a much better diver. You've now got knowledge that few of us have: you were on the verge of panicking and our brains go into chimp mode where we're thrashing around!

Seriously, strange things happen when things go badly wrong and you will accept your fate.

The cure for this generally is more practice such that you have automatic responses to certain situations. Automatic responses mean you're not relying upon higher brain functions: the thing just happens.

Well done for getting through it and well done for letting us all learn from that incident.

So I have an embarrassing story and hopefully others here have some helpful insights. I am a fairly new diver with 70 some dives. I recently was taking my rescue class. We were in a local quarry I’ve dove many times. It was my turn to play the out of air diver. So as the other rescue student swims up to me I toss my reg and signal out of air. The other student fumbled enough getting his secondary and by the time he’s got it half way to my face, my mind is screaming I’m actually out of air(completely forgetting the nearly full tank strapped to my back). I grabbed his secondary and pushed the purge and sipped the bubbles enough to calm my brain. I’ve dove since then, but obviously don’t have out of air situations.

TL;DR: have a backup plan.

Nothing to be embarrassed about and thanks for sharing this. A couple of points, and I'll answer your question too :)

The first is that this is why we teach you to keep your reg in your mouth until you've got a better one. If you are actually OOG at 90 feet, as you ascend, you'll find you have some breathable gas as you ascend.

Second, don't run out of gas :)

But really, it sounds like what you had was a single plan in mind. If I may put on my mind reader's cap for a moment, the plan was something like this:

Instructor: "@Mercracing on this dive, I want you to swim up to your buddy and signal out of gas. Make sure to open your eyes wide and look panicked."

(maybe he even suggested tossing your reg from your mouth)

@Mercracing: "Ok."

So, now you have a plan - "I'll drop my reg, signal OOG and (s)he'll donate to me." The problem is, you didn't have a plan for things to go in a way you don't expect. Dive professionals are used to things going awry when they ask students to do things.

I signaled out of gas to a student recently and the student mistook what I said and started to do a CESA, as an example. Sometimes instructors forget that students aren't as prepared to handle scenarios so they don't brief you to think about alternatives. I know I've been guilty of this myself.

If your instructor had added, "Stay in front of him as long as you're comfortable, but keep your second stage in your hand so you can switch back to it if something doesn't go right." (even better would be to add that you need to be relaxed, take a couple of breaths, and to ensure that you are neutrally buoyant before you start) to your instructions, I'd bet this would not have happened in the first place.

All that said, the short answer to your question about avoiding tunnel vision is an excellent perception of a major problem that divers have. Most instructors I know call state task overloading, or task fixation. It is a very easy state to get into when you're diving. If you've ever dived with photographers on a reef, you've seen it - the group swims away while the lone photographer gets left behind, so fixated on the shot that they've lost their situational awareness.

It's good to have bad things happen during training. I was working with a student recently who was doing a valve drill (closing his left valve on doubles) when he lost buoyancy control. He went up and I was patiently waiting for him to come back down. Since he'd closed his left valve on the way up (task fixated on closing the valve), he lost the ability to use his low pressure inflator.

As he passed me going down, I could tell he was having a problem and I followed him down as he bounced off the bottom of the lake. He hit his lpi several times and when that didn't work, he started working though the problem, eventually realizing that his left valve was closed. We had a really good debrief after that dive talking about what he could have done differently in a similar scenario. He could have orally inflated, or used his dry suit for buoyancy. He should have signaled a problem as he worked the problem, and signaled for attention while working the valves, as well as a couple of other things. . . Point being, he, like you, learned something far more important than the task that was being trained and that's often the true value of taking courses.

You could’ve had a backup reg on a necklace around your neck, DIR style :fear: (joke, there is an ongoing thread about DIR love/hate).

It’s just part of learning. Rescue is one of the first courses that lets you experiment and get into strange situations like dropping a reg. Experience problems but don’t overthink it. There will be many more. The only thing I would train is having an instinct to go for your backup/octopus, which is something most rec training doesn’t emphasise.

Brain is weird and people do a lot of stupid things underwater. I shut off my valves repeatedly. First time was scary, later it’s just “omg not again, I guess I shouldn’t breath until I open it”. Recently I took my rebreather mouthpiece out, looked around, enjoyed my surroundings and it took me few seconds until my brain registered - actually, I can’t breathe underwater, maybe I should get back on the loop or look for bailout :rolleyes:

Thank you all for your thoughts.
I agree my biggest takeaways are: don’t take out your reg until the new one is in front of your face, and overall this was a good thing to have happen in a controlled environment.

I’ve been thinking about this, and I think another thing I need to work on is slowing down. In most of my activities I am focused on “the end” but I need to be aware of what I’m doing in the moment.

I think there are 3 things I'd think about.

1. You can hold your breath for way longer than you're comfortable doing. I'd say with no training most people can easily hold their breath for 30 seconds. With just a bit of work you can make this much longer. Not that you should need to hold your breath underwater while scuba diving, but doing some free diving training would make you much more comfortable in this specific situation allowing you to be more clear headed to think through your options.

2. Everything you're doing you're almost certainly doing it to quickly, as you pointed out slow down, think about small steps. What is the next thing I need to do to improve my situation, a series of small steps done calmly will solve most problems.

In the contex of this drill mentally rehearse it. In your head say "I'm going to throw the reg out of my mouth to simulate being a panicked diver, if the partner does not respond appropriately. I will recover my regulator and purge it, if that doesn't work I'll go to my alternate)

3. Focus on increasing your situational awareness. Do this by developing a scan and keeping your eyes moving, and be constantly monitoring equipment (is everything I have working, how much gas do I have, how much time do I have left etc), environment (is something changes that requires us to change our plan) and team (are we all together, is anyone showing signs of stress or anything out of the ordinary).

The whole goal of all this is your body can't go somewhere your brain hasn't already been. So always try to be ahead of the dive so that you're addressing things in a proactive fashion vs a reactive fashion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom