How to make these shots better

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wolverine

Contributor
Reaction score
peter_and_moral1.jpg

moray_wideagle1.jpg

What I can I do to make these shots better?

I'm not gonna be the one to say "get a second strobe" as I hate when people say that to me! I maybe don't want to spend more money right now, but rather make the system I have work for me!

I really like both of the these shots as they are. You've got great blues!

If the opportunity arises again the first thing I would do is practice with aiming my strobe a little differently. You have alot of foreground to the right lit on the first one that doesn't do much for me - changing the angle may have allowed you to light the eel and throw some more light on the diver.

In the second one, probably throw the strobe on the other side as it looks like you are lighting from the "wrong" side of the eel. And I'd crop it a bit - the leading edge doesn't add much for me.

As you come upon scenes like this the best advice I can offer is shoot more than one frame from a variety of angles...coming around more to the front is always good as is getting lower. Get in close close! I'd love to see that second one from right under the eel's chin - you'd still get the blue water in the background and your strobe would light that great crinoid and reef behind him maybe...

Guess you'll have to go back and take more!!

All this advice is worth what it costs you, of course :wink:

When shooting with one strobe, try handholding it instead of leaving it on an arm. With your compact setup that should be pretty easy. Also the best thing to do would be to get it close to straight above the camera as opposed to off to the side. Notice the big bright patch on the bottom right of the second shot which makes me think your strobe was down and off to that side. That way you get top down shadows instead of shadows cast from the side which looks a little weird. Aim your strobe just a little beyond the eel and it will help light up everything evenly without creating too much scatter.
I like your use of vertical composition, most newer photographers stick with horizontal as it is more comfortable.

Overall, good images

I think the biggest problem is strobe placement. I agree with Mike that with one strobe setup, the best position generally is right above the camera so you can get even lighting.
The diver picture, only the eel and foreground get lit up. It would be nice if the diver get a bit more illumination as well.
Second picture, the strobe was not aim properly only half the field was lit up.
The easiest way is just to have the strobe center above the camera initially, at least you know you will get even lighting then move the strobe around if you want to experiment with shadow.
Wide angle shot is a lot tricker to light and I don't always do it right either. 2 strobes certainly will give you wider area of coverage and a bit more forgiving at aiming!
I assume you have a diffuser on, if not, I would keep it on especially for wide angle as will give you a bit more angle of coverage.

Back
Top Bottom