How to make an IP gauge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here are pictures from my DIY IP gauge.

IPGauge_zps5c3dfd9b.jpg

I bought the gauges from Home Depot in the pneumatic tools section. Note I've drilled out the restrictor to have a more accurate creep/swing/recovery reading. While you're at the hardware store you'll have to get an adapter to fit whichever fitting you'll use to mate with the l/p port on the first stage. Most people use an inflator hose fitting. Now, having said all that, if I were to do this again, I would just get one from Dive Gear express for $8 and be done with it.

SCUBA Repair Tools - Dive Gear Express

Last edited:
..snip..
Note I've drilled out the restrictor to have a more accurate creep/swing/recovery reading.
..snip..

Nice tip.

To build mine I took the BCD connector off an old (surface) Dive-Alert that wasn't whistling properly any more.
The connector just unscrewed and when I measured the thread found it was 3/8 UNF.
So it just cost me one female-female adapter 1/4NPT-3/8UNF + 1 cheap low pressure manometer.

Ok - isn't it worth your time to just buy a $50 item?

No........... It isn't worth my self-reliance either.

Last edited:
Think about throwing in a tee rather than a nipple and add a pressure relief valve to the tee. It will protect your gauge and gear and serve as a purge when disconnecting. So, when you're done it will look like this IP gauge which costs $45.00 US.

Making it is half the fun. If you're not the DIY type of person or just don't get his desire to make it, by all means, go buy one.

Think about throwing in a tee rather than a nipple and add a pressure relief valve to the tee. It will protect your gauge and gear and serve as a purge when disconnecting. So, when you're done it will look like this IP gauge which costs $45.00 US.

Making it is half the fun. If you're not the DIY type of person or just don't get his desire to make it, by all means, go buy one.

I was going to criticize you and say why bother to build it when it is cheaper to buy the unit. But when I looked it up, it can be built for about half the cost.

It's not the cost of the item that motivates the DIYer. It's the thrill of learning, creating, and accomplishment. If you were not borrowing your dads tools and taking things apart at a very young age, you may not understand. I don't understand why people play golf, but I applaud them for having the passion to get up early and smack a ball around in the grass 70 or 80 times over the course of a few hours/beers.

true, but one wouldn't cut down a Sequoia to whittle a toothpick....

In Newfoundland they don't make a distinction.

:D

The do have the coolest of all Canadian accents though. :wink:

(I hope it's clear that this is all being said tongue-in-cheek)

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom