How to make an IP gauge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nldiver1984

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to make my own IP gauge but am unsure of exactly what parts I need and where to get them, especially the adapter that plugs into an LP hose. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

I posted this a while back in another thread.

macado:
This is actually a very easy DIY project to make yourself. I've made a couple from parts from Harbor Freight and NPT adapter from Northeast Scuba or Piranha. In the end though, you're not really saving much money and can buy one from Piranha cheaper. I put an over pressure relief valve on mine but you could just as easily leave a second stage attached to prevent over pressure.

BC fitting for NPT 1/4 (3.99) from Piranha NPT Fitting 1/4M Thread "MA-04"
Brass T connector (2.50) Harbor Freight
300 PSI Dry Gauge (5.99) Harbor Freight

As an alternative to the BC connector, I cut the second stage end off of an old LP hose and used a hose barb.
The parts for the gauge are- gauge ( I prefer a max range of 180 to 200), 'T' fitting, overpressure valve (175 psi), hose barb, hose clamp and the cut off hose. All of these parts except for the hose are common hardware store/ home improvement store parts found in the air compressor section. You can delete the T and over pressure valve if you like but if you do, be darn sure to have a second stage connected to the reg to act as an overpressure relief. Exploading hoses are no joke.

While I was at it, I also attached a photo of a simple manometer you can build to test the cracking pressure of second stages. For the home DIY reg servicing, these 2 tools are all you need in the way of test gauges.
P1291224web.jpgP1291221.JPG

Ok - isn't it worth your time to just buy a $50 item?

If you're that bent on it, the McMaster-Carr catalog has the fittings you'll need. You're likely going to spend more on the project than you would just buying one though.

I guess that would depend on which is the greater limiting constraint. I suspect that many people, like me, have enough time to DIY and choose to do that and spend the $$$ elsewhere - like on a dive trip.

All you need is a cheap pressure gauge from Harbor Fright ( I mean exactly what I spelled) or Home Depot, look in the air tool department. Then a barbed fitting and a hose clamp. The barbed fitting slides up into the LP hose, cut the end from the hose. If you need a LP hose, send me your address, I got plenty of no good hoses.

N

Back
Top Bottom