How to make a thread go on forever

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...//...It's like, imagine there's a group of 6 DM's standing in a group, and you go up to them and ask a question. One by one, they give you an answer. Then they start arguing about their answers, it becomes more and more animated, they wander off down the beach bickering, having forgotten all about you. That's what it's like here.

But hey, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Put that in your sig line so we better know who you are.

Oh yes, of course, you're right. In fact, I thought of making that point in my thread opener. In other words, I don't think it's a bad thing if a thread goes off on a tangent, that's just the way it should be.

It's just kind of funny. It's like, imagine there's a group of 6 DM's standing in a group, and you go up to them and ask a question. One by one, they give you an answer. Then they start arguing about their answers, it becomes more and more animated, they wander off down the beach bickering, having forgotten all about you. That's what it's like here.

Yet we follow and listen intently. Works for me too.

You don't have to be anywhere near that creative. I started a thread, early in my tenure here, about how great I thought it was to dive with my new DIR buddies. It ran about 30 pages before somebody locked it.

What's funny is that you'd have to plug about eight other hot buttons into a thread, to accomplish what three little letters can do.

Oh yes, of course, you're right. In fact, I thought of making that point in my thread opener. In other words, I don't think it's a bad thing if a thread goes off on a tangent, that's just the way it should be.

It's just kind of funny. It's like, imagine there's a group of 6 DM's standing in a group, and you go up to them and ask a question. One by one, they give you an answer. Then they start arguing about their answers, it becomes more and more animated, they wander off down the beach bickering, having forgotten all about you. That's what it's like here.

I doubt we will forget you Dr. Matt.

If a thread you initiated begins to meander too far from the pertinent topic, why not just lock it? As the thread-starter, you have that power, you know.

On a related note, did you know that you can ask/plead to delete one of your own posts from a thread, but a mod can deny your request so long as the post did not violate TOS? Essentially, you have no control at all over your own words once they become part of a ScubaBoard thread and your "Edit" button disappears.

If a thread you initiated begins to meander too far from the pertinent topic, why not just lock it? As the thread-starter, you have that power, you know.

On a related note, did you know that you can ask/plead to delete one of your own posts from a thread, but a mod can deny your request so long as the post did not violate TOS? Essentially, you have no control at all over your own words once they become part of a ScubaBoard thread and your "Edit" button disappears.

This is true. The thread was moved by someone other than you to the "big girls and boys" arena.

I brought :anonymous::jazzband::gas:

not fair.. what heppened to the :popcorn:?

This is true. The thread was moved by someone other than you to the "big girls and boys" arena.
@lowviz: Care to elaborate on that?
I think I detect a little sarcasm in your post.

FWIW, I think it was appropriate that the thread was moved to the "Non-Dive Related Stuff" forum.
"Whine and Cheese" would have worked as well.

Back
Top Bottom