How to Know When To Start Heading Up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you had a burst hose just before you turn the dive wouldn't you just surface at that point with your buddy? Now no one dies!:D

Lets suppose a gas integrated computer is programmed to get the diver back to the surface with 500 psi in the tank.
Computer will calculate turn pressure on the SAC rate during the dive. (lets say its 0.5 CuFt/min)
Just before turn pressure is reached at a depth of 130 feet a hose bursts. Is that "extra" 500 psi enough to get both stressed divers (now breathing at maybe 1.0 CuFt/min) safely back to the surface?

Yes? No? Maybe? Who Knows??

Personally the only computer I trust for gas management is my laptop :wink:

Don't you know that every dive is suppose to be penetration/deco dives? Don't you know that everybody suppose to know their Trimix deco tables by heart? Don't you know that if you were to wear clear skirted mask that you'd go blind by the glare? Don't you know that if you don't use a pony bottle, you'd die? Don't you know that if you were to use computer; specifically air integrated computer, you'd die? Don't you know that if you're not diving a backplate with HOG harness, you'd die?

It always makes me laugh to see the high & mighty posting in newbie forums and expecting the newbies to know how to execute an exploration cave dive in the anarctic or something.

Sarcasm aside, after I took my PADI Wreck diver course I thought I was ready for the big time.....and I had a card to prove it......What a joke, I had less than 50 dives under my belt and didn't know any better. I wasn't an internet diver "learning" from others and their experience....If I had to do it over I think I would have had a shorter learning curve because of the internet, and I think it's helpful when people call BS on info before someone reads it as truth.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to basic forum

I usually get cold or run out of bottom time before I get low on gas.

I have my computer set to alarm at 1500 psi which is generally about half tank assuming a typical 3000 fill. So at that point I'll turn the dive if not before and head back. Seems to work pretty well for the diving I do.

Don't you know that every dive is suppose to be penetration/deco dives? Don't you know that everybody suppose to know their Trimix deco tables by heart? Don't you know that if you were to wear clear skirted mask that you'd go blind by the glare? Don't you know that if you don't use a pony bottle, you'd die? Don't you know that if you were to use computer; specifically air integrated computer, you'd die? Don't you know that if you're not diving a backplate with HOG harness, you'd die?

It always makes me laugh to see the high & mighty posting in newbie forums and expecting the newbies to know how to execute an exploration cave dive in the anarctic or something.

If you get salt water on your pinky toe, YOU WILL DIE!!! Do not go in a state that touches the ocean. YOU WILL DIE!!! DEATH DEATH, AND MORE DEATH. SCUBA is just a code word for DEATH! Everybody go buy a spare air and jet fins. NOW!!!

:banghead:

Sarcasm aside, after I took my PADI Wreck diver course I thought I was ready for the big time.....and I had a card to prove it......What a joke, I had less than 50 dives under my belt and didn't know any better. I wasn't an internet diver "learning" from others and their experience....If I had to do it over I think I would have had a shorter learning curve because of the internet, and I think it's helpful when people call BS on info before someone reads it as truth.

For all its (internet chat boards) shortcomings there is wisdom in a multitude of cousel.

Nothing wrong with coming to ScubaBoard for advises. That's what the intention of the forum is for. My issue is that in the Newbie forum or Basic forum, whenever a newbie were to ask about something, next thing you know people started talking about cave dives, wreck dives, deco dives, military dives, commercial dives, space dives and every other kind of dives but the good old fashion basic recreational diving that the OP is asking about.

It's one thing to talk about gas management & planning and the theories and equations that one would use to calculate rock bottom time & return time. It's another to talk about burst hoses, O-rings, WHAT YOU GONNA DO WHEN DEATH STARES AT YOUR FACE!!! stuff.

Lighten up. Address the question that the newbie ask. What's the point of talking about gases needed for deco stops when the OP is brand stanking new to the game and probably not even contemplate hitting 130-ft much less surpassing NDL?

Not every dive excursion is the equivalence of visiting the Mariana Trench with a Megalodon rebreather. Some of us are pretty darn happy at cruising 30-ft deep, checking out sea cucumbers.

Nothing wrong with coming to ScubaBoard for advises. That's what the intention of the forum is for. My issue is that in the Newbie forum or Basic forum, whenever a newbie were to ask about something, next thing you know people started talking about cave dives, wreck dives, deco dives, military dives, commercial dives, space dives and every other kind of dives but the good old fashion basic recreational diving that the OP is asking about.

It's one thing to talk about gas management & planning and the theories and equations that one would use to calculate rock bottom time & return time. It's another to talk about burst hoses, O-rings, WHAT YOU GONNA DO WHEN DEATH STARES AT YOUR FACE!!! stuff.

Lighten up. Address the question that the newbie ask. What's the point of talking about gases needed for deco stops when the OP is brand stanking new to the game and probably not even contemplate hitting 130-ft much less surpassing NDL?

Not every dive excursion is the equivalence of visiting the Mariana Trench with a Megalodon rebreather. Some of us are pretty darn happy at cruising 30-ft deep, checking out sea cucumbers.

Maybe you should check the stats and learn that the majority of deaths happen within 60' of the surface before you get to confident in you're risk management.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom