How To Kick With Split Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i have the apollo bio-fins xt, and they work great when i frog kick which is most of the time. i scissor kick when i really want to get going or am working against a strong current. as can be expected, each fin will probably work differently with each style of kick, but I wouldn't necessarily assume (and not saying that you have) that because you tried one fin with with a frog kick and it didn't work that you can't frog kick in splits. but certainly many people love their jets with the frog kick.

See, I'm a dinosaur. Diving since the early 1970's, I had never had a pair of splits on my feet until friday nite. Rockets for years, then Jets to replace them.

I expect different splits to work differently with various kicks, if for no other reason than relative stiffness. I thought these might do OK with frog as they're pretty stiff, but it turned out not so much.

I'll do some more dives with these to give them a try under various conditions.

that's a big part of the reason that i got the xt version... they are stiffer, especially around the outer edge of the fins. seems like i can feel more, but they are still relatively effortless compared to when i dove jets and plana avantis.

Wayward Son:
See, I'm a dinosaur. Diving since the early 1970's, I had never had a pair of splits on my feet until friday nite. Rockets for years, then Jets to replace them.

I expect different splits to work differently with various kicks, if for no other reason than relative stiffness. I thought these might do OK with frog as they're pretty stiff, but it turned out not so much.

I'll do some more dives with these to give them a try under various conditions.
The bio-fin XTs (and other splits) will frog kick, as you've noticed. As you've also noticed, their frog kick can't hold a candle to the frog kick Jets put out.

I think that most of the people who say "my splits can frog kick just fine!" have never directly compared the two, or have technique that is so poor they truly can't tell the difference.

As long as you use the small flutter kick from the knee, in decent conditions and with a wetsuit, splits will smoke a pair of Jets. It can be frustrating to keep up with someone in splits during a long surface swim. All this with lower gas consumption and less knee strain, too.

But, add in a drysuit and doubles, and situation changes. Or, try putting a Jets-wearer and a split-wearer on a muddy bottom, with both doing frog kicks, and the Jets will cream the splits, all else being equal. They may both do a proper frog kick, but only one will do well... and the difference will be very obvious, side by side.

And that's no even getting into helicopter turns, backwards, etc.

Splits have their strengths. They have their weaknesses, too. You have to decide which is more important for you, given the kind of diving you do.

I can't say I've ever had anyone smoke me on a surface swim, (even with me in doubles) with my Jets...

CompuDude:
The bio-fin XTs (and other splits) will frog kick, as you've noticed. As you've also noticed, their frog kick can't hold a candle to the frog kick Jets put out.

I think that most of the people who say "my splits can frog kick just fine!" have never directly compared the two, or have technique that is so poor they truly can't tell the difference.

As long as you use the small flutter kick from the knee, in decent conditions and with a wetsuit, splits will smoke a pair of Jets. It can be frustrating to keep up with someone in splits during a long surface swim. All this with lower gas consumption and less knee strain, too.

But, add in a drysuit and doubles, and situation changes. Or, try putting a Jets-wearer and a split-wearer on a muddy bottom, with both doing frog kicks, and the Jets will cream the splits, all else being equal. They may both do a proper frog kick, but only one will do well... and the difference will be very obvious, side by side.

And that's no even getting into helicopter turns, backwards, etc.

Splits have their strengths. They have their weaknesses, too. You have to decide which is more important for you, given the kind of diving you do.
Agreed.

I'd agree with you there CompuDude... it's been forever since I've used my jets... actually I'm not even sure that I new the frog kick back then

Back
Top Bottom