How To Kick With Split Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wayward Son

Contributor
Reaction score
OK, I know you're supposed to kick them differently than a solid fin like a Jet. The big question for is is how, exactly? Anyone know of any videos online to look at that show this?

Its actually straightforward. When doing the flutter kick, instead of 'large', slow kicks, you kick faster, smaller kicks.

I use straight leg faster/medium speed flutter. Frog with jets (Doesn't work well with splits)

My dive buddy & I both have splits and frog kick. Seems to work. I like it better than flutter kick in the splits. I already had the splits when I saw/heard about the frog kick. Since it works fine, I'm not going to purchase more fins.

I tried frogging with my wifes splits the other night. Did not work well, very poor compared to with Jets. It did move me around, but not well. Fast small kicks seemed to work OK.

I grew up on blade fins and learned the big scissor kick from the hip. I tried split fins for the first time on a beach dive (not very smart). I got caught up in the surf zone and got tumbled because I was kicking with hard hip kicks. Instead, with split fins, kicking from the knee instead of the hip gave me that burst of acceleration I was looking for. Try it in the pool, you should be able to distinguish the difference between hip and knee kicks and then fine tune your kicking style.

Good luck,
Carbon

These things are pretty expensive. I'm not real sure that I want to like them, LOL. My Jets are so much more reasonably priced. But I figured that since I spent a pile of cash on them for her, I should at least try them out.

Dang! Does this mean that I have to buy new fins? Jets probably don't even come in my size. Dang!

Used Jets are usually not expensive. Seems the XL's are most popular & bring the highest prices, but smaller ones often go fairly cheap on ebay.

Wayward Son:
Used Jets are usually not expensive. Seems the XL's are most popular & bring the highest prices, but smaller ones often go fairly cheap on ebay.

I have extra small feet. I'd best try on at a dive shop first . . . . .

Back
Top Bottom