how to install a Vivid Leak Sentinel V4 in a dx d200 housing ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubateacher

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Good day everyone I just got back from a great three day trip to west palm beach Florida . On my last dive I flooded my housing a sea and sea dx d200 . I did not put the housing together wrong . I sent off for a Vivid Leak Sentinel V4 vacuum system and am looking for someone to guide me thru the install . Has someone install a Vivid Leak Sentinel V4 in a dx d200 housing ? I am hoping to install it in the strobe bulkhead .
Thanks for all your help

I have not done an install, but I have re-purposed this style of bulkhead to another housing. They suck.

Vivid have a "Sea & Sea strobe bulkhead cap replacement". Hopefully you purchased this? Based upon marketing materials, this should simply screw into one of your 2 Nikonos style bulkhead connectors. But this will not work properly until you remove the internal guts of one of the bulkhead connectors to create a hole into the housing.

The only DIY needed is to remove the guts of the bulkhead connector. A brilliant lazy moron might try drilling through the guts? They are just plastic.

Your dx d200 has a screwy Sea & Sea dual surface mount bulkhead. It has a unique design feature in that it requires zero internal clearance.

If you are lucky, from the inside of the housing you will be able to access the circlip that holds the connector guts inplace. Cut the wires, pry the circlip off and push the connector guts out of the housing (from the inside). You are now ready to go and have not compromised any watertight seals. Consider buying several lottery tickets.

If you can not access the circlip, you will need to disassemble the dual bulkhead connector. At this point, you may want to be a moron and just drill it out? If not, then spin the ring off of each bulkhead connector - insert a very small screwdriver or drill bit into one of the 2 holes in the ring and push counter clockwise. Remove both rings. Then unscrew the 2 philips screws holding the face plate in place. Remove the face plate. Chop all of the wires off of the bulkhead you intend to sacrifice. From inside the housing, push that bulkhead outwards. You have now compromised a water tight seal. Remove the circlip and toss the innards. Res-assemble and hope things are still water tight.

Enjoy...

Well that says a lot , tell us how you really feel about the Vivid Leak Sentinel V4 . I purchased a Vivid Leak Sentinel V4 and having installed it , I went diving . It is one of my best investments to make for a housing . To know that the housing is sealed before I jump in is such a worry off of my mind . To see the green light flashing is icing on my cake . It gives me the secure knowledge that the camera is ready to go diving . now if it will alert me to the lens cap on the lens , I will never lose a dive again .
As fare as installation goes it is so easy to do . Giffenk gives a good description of the install . He is right you will lose the water tightness , intel you install the Vivid Leak Sentinel V4. Then you make your housing into a testing pot . Where you test the water tightness of the housing before every dive . What more can you ask for ?
So Giffenk likes to guess if his housing is water tight or not , but for me knowing it is ready to dive is worth the little price for the Vivid Leak Sentinel V4. If you have not gotten one yet ,Don't let Giffenk miss led you with the misleading info . The Vivid Leak Sentinel V4 dose work and works far above there clams . It gives you piece of mind .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom