How to get to Raja Ampat / Irian Jaya

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

415Gem

Reaction score
Hello, Looking to get from either Bangkok or Singapore to Raja Ampat or Irian Jaya. Does Tiger Air or Silk Airways go to those destinations ? Does anyone know the most economic way to reach those distant dive meccas ? Kind regards Kevin:14:

In any case you want to book and pay for your flight as soon as you can to avoid further fuel surcharges. Silk Air just added a fuel surcharge.

Last year both Singapore Air and Silkair had fuel surcharges.

Don't forget to have your Indoneisan rupiah cash for airport departure taxes in Indonesia. After check in you pay in Indonesian cash at a counter. Check on the exact amount upon arrival. It is under US$10 for international, less for domestic. Each airport may have different charges.

From Silkair.com
27 April 2006
SILKAIR TO INCREASE FUEL SURCHARGE

As a result of further sustained escalations in the price of jet fuel, SilkAir will increase its fuel surcharge for tickets issued on or after 15 May 2006. The new levels are as follows:

- US$20 (up from US$15) per sector, for all SilkAir flights except flights between Singapore and India, and between Singapore and China.

- US$60 (up from US$50) per sector, for all SilkAir flights between Singapore and India, and between Singapore and China.

415Gem:
Hello, Looking to get from either Bangkok or Singapore to Raja Ampat or Irian Jaya. Does Tiger Air or Silk Airways go to those destinations ? Does anyone know the most economic way to reach those distant dive meccas ? Kind regards Kevin:14:

You could fly with SilkAir from Singapore to Manado. Then take a taxi or bus to Bitung where Pelni has large ferries going all over Indonesia including Sorong. I'm not sure about their schedule but the ferries are really cheap and quite comfortable. If you have to wait some days in Bitung for your ferry you could dive Lembeh Straits because Bitung is located right at the Straits and close to KBR and Lembeh Resort.
You will get some of the BEST diving (Lembeh and Irian Jaya) in one trip for a great price! :D

You are far safer flying than taking an Indonesian Ferry, that's for sure

My Indonesian friend told me that even the worst flight will be better than Ferry boat.
He showed me some photos he took in Raja, what so fantastic!!
Try to find some vacation days to visit Raja Ampat.

Hey Kevin,

Nice to see you!

$115 - $120 each way from Manado on Lion Air (Ear Plugs recommended :wink: )

Bob

Back
Top Bottom