How to get a faster shutter in AV with canon g15/g16

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaMarc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a g15 with 2 inon z240 strobes using fiber optic cables. Does anyone know a way or the reason why when I shoot in AV mode I can not get the shutter faster than 1/60. I would like a little faster when underwater. I played with the ISO and the exposure modes and I can not get the shutter faster. I would expect a higher iso would be a faster shutter, but the shutter never changes.

I can shoot in manual if needed, but I would like to know the answer to the shutter speed.

thanks.

how does canon get away from breaking the rule of the ISO/Shutter/Aperture triangle when ISO 100+Aperture 5.6 = 1/60 and ISO 1600+Aperture 5.6 = 1/60

Nope the camera is unaware of external strobes your only way forward is 1/60. Canon camera really have to be used in manual the camera will never be able and actually doesn't even need to expose correctly the strobe will do that

The camera is controlling the flash output considering the 1/60 shutter and the chosen F stop in Av mode.

In External Auto mode the Inon strobe is using it's onboard meter to evaluate the exposure. You set the f stop on the strobe to the same value on the camera and then adjust either up or down to alter the exposure to suit. The camera strobe should be set to Manual and lowest power output.

In sTTL mode the Inon strobe is mimicking the camera strobe. The camera strobe should be set to Auto.

InonChart.png

The Z240 has a knob switch instead of the magnetic reed switch, otherwise it operates exactly the D2000. The Z240 has a little more power than the D2000 and has the capability to use hard wired sync with some cameras, other than that it is a more expensive D2000.

The only real way to gain control of the camera shutter speed with the camera flash enabled/ON, is to use Manual mode on the camera mode dial or perhaps one of the hacks. Hack aside, even then maximum shutter speed I think is still only 1/500 second.

N

The camera is controlling the flash output considering the 1/60 shutter and the chosen F stop in Av mode.

In External Auto mode the Inon strobe is using it's onboard meter to evaluate the exposure. You set the f stop on the strobe to the same value on the camera and then adjust either up or down to alter the exposure to suit. The camera strobe should be set to Manual and lowest power output.

In sTTL mode the Inon strobe is mimicking the camera strobe. The camera strobe should be set to Auto.

InonChart.png

The Z240 has a knob switch instead of the magnetic reed switch, otherwise it operates exactly the D2000. The Z240 has a little more power than the D2000 and has the capability to use hard wired sync with some cameras, other than that it is a more expensive D2000.

The only real way to gain control of the camera shutter speed with the camera flash enabled/ON, is to use Manual mode on the camera mode dial or perhaps one of the hacks. Hack aside, even then maximum shutter speed I think is still only 1/500 second.

N

I will give this a shot. I do not want more than 1/200, something like 1/120 is what i am looking for. There are a few shots where the fish or the current made the pictures a little out of focus.

I am looking at some pictures where I shot in AV mode and the shutter speed was over 1/360, just trying to figue out how i did it. I think i remember just setting up the av mode and then upping the strobe power. But in the house, this is not working and I do not want to over heat the strobe in the house.

I have no issues using manual mode, just some dives I want to take it easy and not fiddle with getting the exposure spot on.

I have no issues using manual mode, just some dives I want to take it easy and not fiddle with getting the exposure spot on.

Please report back what you discover.

The beauty of Manual mode selection on the camera and External Auto set on your D2000/Z240 is you get auto flash exposure via the strobes onboard meter exposure system. Just pick a basic shutter and f stop that works for the conditions and then let the strobes do the work for you. If a photo is a little dark or a little light then adjust the power/f stop setting on your strobes. If you want a lighter or darker background just adjust the camera shutter speed. The 1/500 second top shutter speed with flash is a PITA and there is a hack to get around it but I am afraid I am technically challenged there.

James

To use the external auto mode you either have to shoot without diffuser or you need to use the specific auto diffuser. The external auto mode is not supported with the TTL diffuser supplied with the strobe

Back
Top Bottom