How to Engage Younger People in Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am of the opinion that diving as an activity should be allowed to age out. The environmental damage due to tourism in general is irreversible. Time to give the world's reefs a break.

Reactions: Ana
I am sorry that I ever started this thread. I was hoping for an intelligent discussion about opportunities and ideas for attracting younger people to scuba diving, like the excellent suggestion by @Marie13 that some dives be geared toward newer and younger divers - in her case that includes shallow wreck dive trips in the Great Lakes.

Instead it has turned into a nasty exchange between older divers determined to gripe about "What's the matter with kids today!" and defensive younger divers who are justifiably angered by all the finger-pointing and negativity.

The thread has done the exact opposite of what I had hoped for; it is more likely to drive younger divers away then attract them to the sport of diving and I am very disappointed.
I don't think things have changed so much. If anything, probably more young people try breathing underwater than 30 years ago. The simple fact is that most people don't value diving enough to put the effort and money into it. Taking a DIscover Scuba course is easy and lots of people do that. Diving enough to get good at it and being willing to carry a lot of gear on vacation is another level of dedication. Dedicating a room of your house to the gear is a level above that. Most just don't get enough enjoyment out of it to make the time and financial commitment to doing it. They instead enjoy doing one thing this trip and another thing the next trip. I think it has always been that way.

I am of the opinion that diving as an activity should be allowed to age out. The environmental damage due to tourism in general is irreversible. Time to give the world's reefs a break.

No reefs where I dive.

A non issue if divers are taught properly.

Cost is a thing clearly, which got me thinking about budget oceanic diving options. In the U.S./Bahamas/Caribbean region, aside from shore diving in California, the main famous example is Blackbeards live-aboard cruises. They have somehow held the line at around a grand (plus tips and airfare, but booked in advance I think airfare to catch the boat can be pretty cheap?) and you can get 18-19 or so dives? Described as 'camping at sea,' little privacy, no nitrox, limited freshwater availability, but overall a great value and very popular. I've noticed someone mentioned haven't done it when younger, but it's not for them now that they're, um, a bit less young.

I wonder if this is a business model that ought to be propagated elsewhere. For land-based operations, more 'dive hostels.'

Morehead City, North Carolina has Olympus Dive Center, which had a dive lodge where one can stay quite cheaply. Utila is known for a 'backpacker culture.' Cozumel has some cheap options.

Anyone know how the cheap, basic businesses associated with diving are doing in the region?

Would it be wrong to say we are not going to solve all of society’s faults at this time? Keyboard bashing and chest pumping do not have a place here. To me one of the draws of the sport was a change in perspective that it is not a competition; rather a collective experience and shared interest. In the same regard exclusionary statements are not contributing much either.

I think at this level answering the original question should be aimed for those that have expendable income to dedicate to a hobby- How do we pull the attention of so many when there are so many choices, and considering there are many other hobbies with lower entry barriers.

Selling the experience is a key aspect. I became certified to see a wreck, the history and the engineering of the vessel drew me to the Caymans last year. The sheer force of what the ocean has done to the vessel underwater has me hooked. To see what the ocean is capable of doing to a massive boat that was buried in the sand gives a great perspective on who we are.

The GoPro effect is something to consider. The ability to see what can be done in places that you may have already have visited, what lies just off shore? I am thinking of the wave of treasure hunter videos exploring rivers and lakes. I know I picked a camera up to show those around me where I have been and why I keep going back.

I agree with a statement above, the gear is a means to an end. But would like to add I am also interested in having a set that I am happy with and can be proud of. Like anything else, you do not need the newest driver in golf or this year’s colors on your BC, but for some people that is what makes them happy. I for one like to go for the best with room for future growth, I was drawn to the Shearwater computers but decided a more moderate one for a first is appropriate.

Generational experiences do not always relay an interest. I work with a couple people who say yeah I dove before with their parents, but when asked if they would like to come out one weekend the curiosity has faded, they have seen and done that.

For some I feel that the sport a checklist item that people experience and move on from, on to the next and bigger adventure. Others choose to go deeper.

I could definitely share a few beers with you folks and continue this conversation.

Cost is a thing clearly, which got me thinking about budget oceanic diving options. In the U.S./Bahamas/Caribbean region, aside from shore diving in California, the main famous example is Blackbeards live-aboard cruises. They have somehow held the line at around a grand (plus tips and airfare, but booked in advance I think airfare to catch the boat can be pretty cheap?) and you can get 18-19 or so dives? Described as 'camping at sea,' little privacy, no nitrox, limited freshwater availability, but overall a great value and very popular. I've noticed someone mentioned haven't done it when younger, but it's not for them now that they're, um, a bit less young.

I wonder if this is a business model that ought to be propagated elsewhere. For land-based operations, more 'dive hostels.'

Morehead City, North Carolina has Olympus Dive Center, which had a dive lodge where one can stay quite cheaply. Utila is known for a 'backpacker culture.' Cozumel has some cheap options.

Anyone know how the cheap, basic businesses associated with diving are doing in the region?

We did Blackbeards as our first liveaboard when we were young divers and the cost was a major reason for booking the trip, it was a lot of diving at a cheap price that included food and lodging. I think that the price was only $599 or $699 per person back then so they have kept the price down over the years.

We decided that we liked LOB diving but we preferred more space and privacy, even though it would cost more, but we have no complaints about Blackbeards - it was exactly as advertised and a good value. Whenever a young, single diver is looking for a cheap trip with a lot of diving, I usually recommend Blackbeards.

More "no frills" dive ops with hostel accommodations sounds like a good option for divers struggling with expense - great suggestion!

My first scuba instructor has a group that goes on organized trips; they periodically go to Panama Beach, Florida (here's a link to one such past trip; leave Friday, back Sunday; about $300 for a place to stay, 2 ocean dives and there's an optional freshwater spring dive); I don't know about lately, but I think in the past some of them drove down as a group, so you could get there pretty cheap.

They've had an $845 Blue Angel Resort Cozumel trip; granted B.A. isn't A.I. and there's airfare plus boat tips to think about, but for 10 dives and no extra charge shore diving, that's pretty good!

Figure they may offer similar trips going forward. The local dive quarry's dive operation does Roatan trips; I think they use Turquoise Bay Resort. Their next offering is for about $1,100 dual occupancy, around 17 dives for the week, meals and 'unlimited drinks' (I don't know about alcohol) included. Airfare to Roatan isn't real cheap, IIRC, and you've got tips to consider, but still...that ain't bad! And there are some monthly payment options!

Maybe it'd be useful to compose websites profiling fairly low budget, high value trips and strive to get the word out.

Is @scubadada on this thread? Any thoughts on how accessible the shore diving around Boynton Beach and surroundings I've read about would be for fairly new divers, let's say between 10 and 50 dives post-OW cert.? I've heard of groups hitting Blue Heron Bridge, and the San Diego, California area has the Power Scuba club that has offerings that could help a new young diver take advantage of opportunities (plus California has some budget prices even on boats!). Anything like that around Boynton Beach?

I didn't read the full thread but just the subject title makes me cringe. Why do we need more people underwater?
As a fellow EE, I (think) that I detect a note of tongue-in-cheek sarcasm in your post. Your post bothered me for a while until I think that I 'got it'.

@Ana. Yes, we need more people. But we desperately need those who potentially get serious about entering the least understood, greatest area, and most influential part of our climate. Question about some oceanographic instruments.

I remain steadfast in 'sparking' young minds and then getting out of their way.

...Maybe it'd be useful to compose websites profiling fairly low budget, high value trips and strive to get the word out...?

Great idea! Maybe Scuba Board would consider adding a forum where members could post good dive and travel values?

Safe, clean, lower-priced accommodations near dive destinations would also be useful information to share. When we were new divers and were driving down to Florida to dive, we often stayed in studio apartments. I also remember staying in a studio at Sand Dollar on Bonaire.

Nowadays I prefer a one-bedroom apartment or condo but having access to some food prep was a big help with controlling expenses. You can do a lot with just a small frig, a microwave, a coffee pot, and a sink and that really helps with the budget.

Back
Top Bottom