how to drown in 2 feet of water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andy, thanks for the reminders.

Many lessons wrapped into one incident.

I think this type of thing can happen to anyone. As you probably already know, it's not necessarily one thing, it's the combination of things that lead to people panicking and dying. Your experience, training, and choice of buddies helped negate the problems you ran into.

Now, do you know any good lawyers? I’m sure there is some deep pocket somewhere that is really responsible… :D

this is why i make sure that both regs are on, that i can inflate my wing, that my dump valve isn't stuck and that my mask is on my forehead and not obstructing the backup reg before i get into the water...

Good story, Andy. Glad it had a good ending. Now that it's over, it's probably funny thinking back to it. It must have been a sight to see. :D

The diver you mentioned died there in the Peacock basin. I've heard the story a few times from my cave instructor. It's the reason he always hits his LP inflator button on the way to the basin. The guy jumped in and sank to the bottom in 12 feet of water. He was a tad bit out of shape and turtled on the bottom. He wasn't flexible enough to reach back and turn his air on. Buddy was back in the parking area talking to another caver he ran into while getting the item he forgot. My instructor said he made a pact with a couple of other cavers after that. If any of them ever perished that way, the other two would drag the body a couple thousand feet into the system and tie it off on the line there. :14:

Kevfin:
...Now, do you know any good lawyers? I’m sure there is some deep pocket somewhere that is really responsible… :D

I believe Andy is a lawyer. He can always sue himself... :wink:

Geeze Andy what a story, and a good one! Ya know, every time I slip into the water somewhere easy, shallow, no big deal; I have to force myself to put in my Reg feeling like a dufus. Now I’m gonna remember your story, Mahalo.

Dive-aholic:
I believe Andy is a lawyer. He can always sue himself... :wink:

He is and what's even better is he does litigation... ching ching...

BTW, I'm kidding about suing... I’m big on personal responsibility.

Rick Inman:
Shoulda' brought a snorkel. :D

Glad you're OK, Andy!! Good job handling what could have been a very bad deal.

Man, I blew coffee outta my nose . . . laughing my butt off !!!!!

A couple of more incidents like that and we're going to have to confine him to a hookah!

Hey, seriously, I'm glad you're OK. Another valid reason for having the alternate bungied.

the K

Yes, a very good reason to keep that mask out of the way and on your forehead.

gee, Andy, you could have been like all those kids that drown in mop buckets every year. (not funny, but it happens)
or my prized finch, "Millard" that fell over in a shot glass. and think of all the lawyer jokes we would have to endure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom