How to dive Truk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Wetpup,
Mostly everything has already been said. Both options, land based dive shops and liveaboards are good ones to dive Truk since the wrecks are only 40 minutes away - by speed boat - from the shore.
Liveaboards, though, are floating hotels so you are living on the top of the wrecks which allows you to dive the spots when there is nobody yet. The Truk Siren will have open dive decks so you will be able to choose when you want to dive.
The Truk Odyssey and the Truk Siren are both good choices to dive Truk wrecks.
Cheers,
Leticia

Wetpup
We stayed at Blue Lagoon a couple of years ago. Very comfortable, and very obliging dive shop. We dove all the wrecks we wanted to do - lots of choice and I have to say we don't venture below 40m and this didn't disadvantage us whatsoever. Theres plenty to see in shallower waters. With regards the liveaboard option, Truk Oddesey would be my choice but I don't see what you gain from being on the liveaboard in Chuck as both are very close to all the wrecks. A word of warning, you'll probably stay within the hotel grounds as Chuck isn't the nicest of places to be out and about! Think about extending your trip and link up with Palau (first choice) and Yap (second choice). This will be a superb trip :)

I finally booked it! I'm off for a week in June, staying at Blue Lagoon.

I'd initially hoped to take 3 weeks off and do a big Micronesia dive trip to Truk-Yap-Palau, but it wasn't to be. Couldn't get the extended time off work. Still, a week in Truk will hopefully give me a taste of what it's got to offer and whether a more extended trip is warranted sometime in the future. I'll get to Palau eventually.

Reactions: RJP
I agree that the Odyssey is the best option if she is in your budget. It is easiest to get the most dives/day on a liveaboard. I don't believe there is any restriction using one of their doubles as long as you bring a backplate, BC and two regulators. Aluminum 30s ready to rig for slinging are also provided. They will restrict making extended dives without the training but not carrying the extra gas. Make sure you have a Nitrox card for most any liveaboard. Naturally previous doubles experience is a good idea — or for any other piece of gear for that matter.

See Truk sooner than later. It is a real question if many of the wrecks will be more than scrap heaps collapsed on the bottom in 10 years.

This thread might be useful:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/wreck-diving/485747-wreck-penetration.html

This is a timely thread as I am starting to think about my trip on the Odyssey. Are the al30's already rigged or do I need to bring my own rigging?
Are the wrecks wide open these days because of decay or is it best to use a reel in general?

I would like to do some of the deeper wrecks before getting on the boat, I like helium. it sounds like the Truk Stop may be more convenient for this?

This is a timely thread as I am starting to think about my trip on the Odyssey. Are the al30's already rigged or do I need to bring my own rigging?

Are the wrecks wide open these days because of decay or is it best to use a reel in general?

I would like to do some of the deeper wrecks before getting on the boat, I like helium. it sounds like the Truk Stop may be more convenient for this?
The Al30's were kitted old style metal rings to bolt snaps/clips back in 2007; bring your own Sling Kits as an option if you prefer. All penetrations of the cargo spaces and superstructure will be traverses on lead by Dive Guides; no need to run a reel unless you go off somewhere else on your own. The more popular wrecks are succumbing to time and too many divers, and are getting dangerous to penetrate. . .

Recommend scheduling a separate fully guided "a la carte" tour with Truk Stop Dive Guide "Nuwa", on a grand tour of the San Francisco Maru or Aikoku Maru (or any other deep wreck of interest), with pick-up from & return -ask if it can be arranged (they have done it with divers from the Truk Odyssey Liveaboard). Depending on your SCR/SAC rate and an average depth range of 51m to 54m, you can do a 40min bottom time (55 to 60min max with an additional AL80 stage of bottom mix). You will need 20/20 (or 18/45 if you must have Standard Bottom Mix) for your doubles & optional AL80 Stage, an AL40 or AL63 of Nitrox50 and an AL40 of O2. The dive skiff has a contingency AL80 tank of O2 hanging at 6m.

Truk Stop Hotel/Truk Lagoon Dive Center is the only dive-op with Chuukese Guides Nuwa & Jerson trained in Advanced Nitrox/Deco Procedures with DIR long hose doubles config having extensive knowledge guiding at depth on the deeper wrecks for your bottom time, and can do the requisite deco time to surface with you. They also have the better tech logistic & gas blending support for both Open Circuit & CCR, with a good number of Double Al80's, Single Al80 stages and Al63's & 40's deco bottles with proper sling kits for rent.

Last edited:
I have been thinking of taking my AN/DP with the Truk Stop since I am so close to Chuuk. I haven't found any Tech Instructors in HI or at least on Oahu that interest me as a student.

I wish you a speedy recovery Kevrumbo... :)

I have been thinking of taking my AN/DP with the Truk Stop since I am so close to Chuuk. I haven't found any Tech Instructors in HI or at least on Oahu that interest me as a student.

I wish you a speedy recovery Kevrumbo... :)
Thanks Oldbear! Eye surgery is April 13, with a possible return to work and Scuba hobby by late Sept; not sure if I'll make it back to Truk this year though, and so the consecutive trips out there since 2007 will be broken :depressed: . . .

Let me know when you head back and perhaps we can arrange a stay on Kwaj and blow some bubbles.

I have been thinking of taking my AN/DP with the Truk Stop since I am so close to Chuuk. I haven't found any Tech Instructors in HI or at least on Oahu that interest me as a student.. . .
Rob McGann went back home to Florida Cave Country after managing the Truk Stop Dive-Ops for nearly five years. The new manager is Gary, who is a PADI Tech Instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom