How to dive Salt Pier by starting at Jeannie's Glory?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrex

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've heard some people end up diving Salt Pier by starting at Jeannie's Glory and diving south to the Pier. How long an underwater swim is that? Is this a good way to dive Salt Pier or is not enough time spent at the Pier? Who has dived Salt Pier recently and did you get permission and/or use a guide?

heading down to Bonaire for our 3rd trip and looking to add some sites we haven't dived yet. Never did dive Salt Pier on the first two trips.

I did the salt pier twice in January, great spot. No guide or permission, was told that was no longer required. We just swam out along the north side of the pier, once we got to the first set of legs swam south around the inside. Then north in the middle, lots to see in the afternoon when the sun is shining under the pier.
Heading back down next week and plan to dive there at least once again.

I'm sure you could do it that way, and since it's pretty shallow at the pier bottom time shouldn't be a problem if you stay shallow on your way there and back, but why do the swim both ways when you can just park at the pier and walk right in?

That's what we did, park at the pier and swim straight out. And yes it's a shallow dive, don't remember the depth but I think 20-30 foot. Saw a couple turtles, octopus, several eels and tons of fish.

We parked on the south side and just waded out there. It is a very easy entry with sand out to chest deep water.

lots of octopi in the rubble and rocks around the pier. Go in the day time and scout for shells. Go back at night and they'll be out of the holes, close to the places you found the shells.

Just park off to the side at the pier, no diving allowed if a ship is docked. Did it in May, lots of fish and sharptail eels.

Getting very mixed messages on diving Salt Pier without a guide. According to our trip leader, Buddy Dive is still saying a guide is required. We are headed down on Sept 1st. A post above says a guide is no longer required - any reference point to that statement?

We were on Bonaire a few years ago and had a terrible guided night dive. The site nor the guide were the problem - both were great. other divers in the group created all of the issues. Air hogs, poor buoyancy control, wanting to cover too much ground ... I am not willing to pay for that type of experience again.

We dove it in January. Nobody said anything to us about a guide. 31ft, according to my log anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom