How to clean an old aluminum can?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoAnywherePhoto

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I found an old Pepsi can on a dive last night. It is aluminum, but the top has no pop-top or pull-tab, you can see where it was punched open with a can opener. I'm guessing that puts it at about 50 years old or so?

Overall, it seems to be in good shape and the markings are faded, but legible, but there is some gunk growing on it.

I'm looking for advice on how to clean it without fading the markings or causing the can itself to become corroded.

Thanks!
Jon

Wow, that must be really good aluminum in that can and I agree with you it must be pre-1960 era. I would use a mild solution of vinigar and water, perhaps 75:25 mix. It may take awhile, like a week or more but if you increase the mix you may eat through the can. Can you post a picture?
One more question, my daughter and a friend are heading to Cuba tomorrow, have you exprianced more then the usual amount of Man-of-war jellys this year?
ZDD

I've heard of people putting smaller objects like this in the toilet tank. The repeated flushings ensure the water is changed regularly to help leach salt and stuff out of things. You might start with that and see how it does.

Wow, that must be really good aluminum in that can and I agree with you it must be pre-1960 era. I would use a mild solution of vinigar and water, perhaps 75:25 mix. It may take awhile, like a week or more but if you increase the mix you may eat through the can. Can you post a picture?
One more question, my daughter and a friend are heading to Cuba tomorrow, have you exprianced more then the usual amount of Man-of-war jellys this year?
ZDD

I thought about vinigar, but it doesn't really have any coral/crust type growth on it, most seems like plain old algae/slime and I was worried that the vinigar would cause corrosion.

I think I will start out with a good freshwater rinse and then a mild soap and warm water and see what that does for now.

I'll try to get some pics. It is a pain to go from camera to computer here. I still have to get some pics of my coke bottle up too, but that got mailed home and I've been here longer than planned so it will have to wait.

I have yet to see a Man-of-war here, just regular moon jellys and such, but that could be very different based on location.

As for jellys in general, I haven't seen any big numbers of them. I haven't been here a whole year so I can't say if what I've seen is more or less than normal. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the jellyfish update, as for the Pepsi can maybe use just a soapy rag on the outside and for the inside let it dry out in the sun and then put some sand in it and shake it to remove the dried up algae.
ZDD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom