How to clean a reel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaScotty561

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok so whenever i dive i'm always with a group and one person holds the dive flag and it was never me. Recently I've been put in a situation where i need to hold my own reel. So i went out and bought one and everything then when i get home i had to clean it. So i undid all 150ft of it into a bucket of fresh water got the salt off and then had to get it back on the reel. Worst mistake ever, whole thing was knotted, took like 20 mins to get it straightened out. So, how do i clean it without taking off all 150ft of rope? Thanks

I see that you are diving out of Boynton Beach so I am guessing you dive with a charter that requires you to carry a flag while in a group.

I tis really not a great idea to fully unravel your reel like that. If you do that you need to make sure you spool it on properly to avoid line twist and knots and that it packs on the spool tightly.

The way I clean my reel is to rinse it first with fresh water and let it soak in a bucket for a hour or so and just let it dry. I have a Manta Jr reel the most important part of cleaning it is the hardware especially the springs. It also wouldn't hurt to email the manufacturer to see what they say.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom