Buoyancy Calculation Before Getting Wet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

addohm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi, are there any calculators out there that at least get you close to what you need for bouyancy in salt and fresh water? Or do I still have to do it the old fashioned way and manually weigh all the parts with a fish scale and bucket of water?

Ah, sorry. I gotta remember the "Tips & Techniques" is under the Camera forum.

However, I do know you can get the increase for salt water as 2.4% of the total dry weight. I use a luggage scale and a hot tub for measuring freshwater buoyancies.

This is an excellent, detailed spreadsheet that lets you easily estimate a starting weight based on various configurations of exposure suit and tank type. Developed by a sharp Scubaboard member.

I've found that you can spend a lot of time trying to calculate housing buoyancy with math or in buckets or bathtubs, but the best way is always to jump in the water. Find a pool at your local dive shop or elsewhere you can use to test a new configuration. It's also the only way you can really test and adjust the trim of your rig, which is also very important mainly for dome ports (especially acrylic ones). I use adhesive wheel balancing weights to help with that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom