How to chose instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

opiniongirl:
Now, I really need that one explained to me.

I recently went looking for a lazer eye surgeon, and wanted the best. So I shyed away from the Dr. who did the most in my city - I wanted a rookie!

I want to sue too, and wanted the attorney who'd won the least amount of cases - gotta shy away from the ones who've represented a lot of clients.

I wanted to learn how to skydive - I think I'll shy away from the instructor whose taught the most courses!

Now, barring an instructor who violates standards by taking "20 divers" (and I know there are instructors like that, but lets just say in this example they're not...

Why on earth would anyone advise someone who is looking to do a course to "shy away from an instructor with a lot of certifications"? Is diving bizarro land, where less is more, and the above examples are so different?

Help me understand why this is a reasonable statement.

i gotta agree with you. i think freefloat made a good point as well. i'd go with his way.

FreeFloat:
...... but by the same token if the instructor has only produced 5 divers per year on average over his 8 years teaching, does he really have the experience you're looking for?

That would depend on the quality of the diving skills of the divers.

FreeFloat:
Something else that hasn't been brought up yet (I think) - does the instructor still dive outside the classroom? If the instructor only gets in the water when coaching students, is he allowing his own (non-teaching) skills to become rusty?

Definitely an important consideration

it is a GROSS blanket statement to suggest that an instructor with a decent amount of experience teaching a wide variety of courses is someone to "shy away from".

True, but that's not what I said.

But that's EXACTLY what you said. You'd shy away from instructors with a lot of certifications.

I would shy away from instructors with lots of certifications. That's vastly different from shying away from "an instructor with a decent amount of experience teaching a wide variety of courses."

How so? Lot's of certifications could be taken to mean lots of students taught, lots of training, or a combination of either.

Like I said - a blanket statement that does absolutely ZERO for the original poster. You're a veteran - why not expand to actually answer the question?

I did actually answer the question, check post number 4. It is, by far, the most in depth answer to the question.

Well, it's perhaps the longest. I re-read it.

Fine, but the confusing post (which does nothing for the enquirer) is your blanket statement. You didn't explain it. It seemed more of a vent, rather than assistance. Does it really need to take more than 7 posts to convince you to expand your statements for the benefit of the original poster?

Nevermind then - this is tiring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom