How To Choose A 5-star Padi Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeDDives

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm about to get my PADI Open Water Diving Certification completed next week and then head to Hawaii, Guam, and Okinawa for work. While at each, I'd like to do some diving. How do you choose which 5-Star PADI shops are the best to work with at each location?

When I look at TripAdvisor, rarely are the highest rated Dive Shops 5-Star PADI shops.

The obvious question is why does it have to be a PADI shop (as I've heard that pretty much all shops recognize all agencys' OW certs.)? But either way, my only thought is once (if) you know exactly the sites you'd like to dive, check out the websites of the closest shops and e mail them with a host of questions. I've done a lot of that for the Caribbean (if the website no longer exists, not a real good sign....). Another source may be the SB sub forums on each locale.

As for why a PADI Shop, I've simply been taught 5-Star PADI Shops are the best for guaranteeing the quality of the equipment, safety, and professionals. Keep in mind I'm new and am naive.

As for why a PADI Shop, I've simply been taught 5-Star PADI Shops are the best for guaranteeing the quality of the equipment, safety, and professionals. Keep in mind I'm new and am naive.

Keep in mind that I work for a PADI shop, but that is basically PADI marketing. Pretty much what a PADI 5-Star means is that they pay more than a regular PADI shop. I'd go with the reviews and ask around here on SB for some shop recommendations. Once you get your certification, you can dive with any shop regardless of agency affiliation.

Great! Thanks to know. PADI really pushes the air quality in tanks, etc... Good to know that is mainly marketing.

So go with the Dive Shops with great reviews on TripAdvisor?

Reactions: Tug
Great! Thanks to know. PADI really pushes the air quality in tanks, etc... Good to know that is mainly marketing.

So go with the Dive Shops with great reviews on TripAdvisor?

If I was in your shoes, I'd check out TripAdvisor (taking into account people with an ax to grind) and ask on the local forums here.

As far as air quality, most reputable shops will at minimum post their air quality analysis specs near their fill station and some even post it online! If you go to a reputable shop, I doubt you'll have an issue with the quality of their air. Of course there is always the exception to the rule so I'd never hesitate to ask to see a shops air analysis.

When are you headed to Guam? My course director is moving back there for work. Will be there mid April.

And what islands will you be on in Hawaii? If Oahu, check out Kaimana divers.

Are you in the navy?

As far as air quality, most reputable shops will at minimum post their air quality analysis specs near their fill station

While I may not have your experience, this is not exactly common from what I've seen. At least not in France, Switzerland and Oz, so I wouldn't go and tell a beginner that this is the norm. It may be in the US, but doesn't seem to be the worldwide.

As for the reports, I personnally wouldn't trust TripAdvisor or that kind of junk. If you're on a mainstream destination, you'll most likely find reports on scuba forums. Those are more likely to be fair imo.

Reactions: Tug

Back
Top Bottom