How to check used regs without going to your LDS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agreed with that in post #12 after reading post #11. My sentiments are of general application.
hey dale just so you know where Im coming from.
In my line of work I get to see the end result of stuff done to vehicles that from the nature of your posts I reckon you would shudder over.
I've come to the conclusion that with a fairly large section of the population you should ban them from ever touching a screwdriver/spanner/socket set.
That kind of person really is best to trust the competence of their LDS where you stand a half reasonable chance of the gear coming back working properly.

hey dale just so you know where Im coming from.
In my line of work I get to see the end result of stuff done to vehicles that from the nature of your posts I reckon you would shudder over.
I've come to the conclusion that with a fairly large section of the population you should ban them from ever touching a screwdriver/spanner/socket set.
That kind of person really is best to trust the competence of their LDS where you stand a half reasonable chance of the gear coming back working properly.

Yet, all drivers are pretty much expected to be able to check the fluids and change a tire. Inspecting a regulator is just not that hard. Even servicing many regulators is relatively simple. And, if a diver screws it up, it can be expected to not work or to leak. The danger to himself and others is minimal.

My experiences with LDS tech support were quite disappointing. Much less than a 50% satisfaction rate. I am so happy that I am not stuck with being totally dependent on LDS tech support.

Awap: Would you not agree, however, that while servicing your own regulators is certainly something that can be done by most mechanically inclined people, it is not a cheap and easy alternative to taking them to your LDS. You need to become very familiar with how a each stage functions in general, and then you must become familiar with the ins and outs of your particular regulator set. This takes time, effort, and money, that the OP doesn't really seem to be willing to put into it.

I also compare DIY regulator repair to DIY car repair. I used to do my brakes myself all the time because I don't necessarily trust mechanics (even at the dealerships), and they were always nickle and diming me. A found it rediculous that I was charged labour to replace rotors when I was already having the rest of the brake job done. Anyway, I don't have a lot of time to spend an afternoon changing my own brakes so I was glad to find a good reliable mechanic I can trust so that I don't have to do it any more. I think the same is true about regulator technicians. If you don't want to spend the time doing it yourself, you can find a technician you can trust, and let him/her do it for you.

Time and effort - YES. $$$ - yes, it will cost but probably not for the reason you might think.

If I had an LDS that did a good job, I'm sure my entry into DIY would have been delayed. Let's face it, the Scuba industry pretty much does what it can to keep divers from doing this. About the only thing it does not do is provide reliable, well-policed tech service. But the obstacles are also overcome with time and effort. The real cost is the extra regulators and assorted parts I collected when the prices were just too good to pass up. But the way to venture into this is start small and work your way up, or stop when you recognize your limitations. Almost everyone should be able to inspect there own gear and make basic corrections rather than having to run it to a dive shop - especially if the tech service is unreliable.

BTW, I stopped doing my own oil changes and exhaust system work only because it is too messy and not cost effective. But I still tackle most other stuff. Regulators are a lot easier then cars.

Back
Top Bottom