How to 'check' hoses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now for the stupid question. I know it needs to be replaced... but think it's likely to survive one or two dives until I can get a new one? Or is this full stop until replace?

Feel pretty sure it will survive although I would not dive with it. Not a criticism, but I'm a little surprised that someone with your experience doesn't have an extra hose or even an extra regulator set to use.

I also have an AL40 with a Hog BP2 / DUROC 2nd stage on a 40" hose. I don't have a spare 22" hose. I'll swing by a couple LDS today but I doubt they'll have what I need. Never know...

The reason I don't have a lot of extras yet is I gave it all away when my wife got cancer and I only started rebuilding my kit last year.

---------- Post added April 27th, 2013 at 03:55 PM ----------

I just called around.. one has a 26" and another has a 24". 22" is what I have right now....

Hmmm, buy local and support the LDS or orde online to maintain streamlined?

How to 'check' hoses?

In many a thread here people have suggested not using hose protectors because then you cannot 'check' the hoses.

What are people checking for when they say they are checking the hoses?

I am all for people asking about things they don't understand.... I say all the time that there are "NO" stupid questions.... BUT, I sometimes wonder how people get ratings without all the knowledge that they " SHOULD HAVE "

There is a thread in accidents and incidents , near misses and lesson learned , split reg hose.... That thread has some good info in it and has pictures of a hose bubble that is very hard to see and only found by running the hose through your fingers under pressure....:wink:

Jim...
CLICKY....
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/near-misses-lessons-learned/444928-split-reg-hose.html#post6621029

Chill. I know the importance of inspecting my gear and having a fully independent AAS.

I'm confident this was fresh and not present at my last dive. I'm just asking how long it takes to progress.

In fact I just picked up a 24" hose. Only annoyance was the guy trying to tell me I was buying the wrong size and that it was way too short. IMO it's too long.

In the bad old days when I used most of my money for silly things like food and rent, I dived a hose with significant cracks for about year. On the hoses with which I am familiar, the outer covering simply protects an inner strength-providing layer. As long as the second layer was not compromised (I figured) it was OK to go. Not recommending it, just betting my nickel that you could get many more dives from that hose. Since you carry redundant, the risk seems low to me.

From DGE:

The 'hose protectors' on the ends of the hoses next to the first stage provide a cosmetic appearance, however there is no evidence they prevent hose damage. Hoses sometimes fail where the fitting is swaged onto the hose, but that's caused by gas pressure, and a hose protector is not going to prevent that from happening. Because hose protectors interfere with routing and streamlining, they are almost never seen on regs used in technical diving. In fact, hose protectors may compromise safety and many experienced divers don't use or recommend them. Hose protectors hold water against the fitting, causing corrosion and hiding developing problems. The post dive maintenance recommendation is to pull the hose protectors back from the fittings, rinse and inspect. However, our observation is that not only do most divers not perform this suggested maintenance, when they do they are actually pulling hard at the most failure prone part of the hose. Our maintenance recommendation: permanently remove all hose protectors (we carefully use a pair of side cutters rather than pull them off) and replace the hose if there is evidence of excessive wear or damage.

I'm too lazy to take a picture right now ( can if someone wants ) but after about 1 year and 70 dives I found a defect on my secondary reg LP hose. I don't use hose protectors and it looks like strain / crimp damage from the hose hanging down. Basically on the bottom side of the hose is a little protusion \/ shaped bump. You can only see it when the hose is depressurized and allowed to hang. One I charge the regulator it doesn't bulge but if you press your finger nail on it it feels softer and indents.

Now for the stupid question. I know it needs to be replaced... but think it's likely to survive one or two dives until I can get a new one? Or is this full stop until replace?

Your rubber hose is made of a sheath covered in rubber. The rubber is designed to protects the sheath, the sheath is designed (and rated) to hold the pressure. That bulge you see, means the sheath is damaged, and all that's holding back your IP pressure is the rubber. So use your head on this one.

I wouldn't dive it, because a burst in an LP hose will mean rapid air loss and flooded first stage at the least.
Now if I saw the rubber cracked and the sheath exposed, I'd be more inclined to dive it for a recreational day, if I were already at the site.

photo(1).jpg

Here is a picture. The bulge can only be observed when you bend the hose a little. I've already got the replacement and it's going on in a minute.

View attachment 153443

Here is a picture. The bulge can only be observed when you bend the hose a little. I've already got the replacement and it's going on in a minute.

id dive it, but I'd also get it replaced sooner rather than later, which you have done. To be honest I'm not sure why some seem so stressed about any of this. Simple, reasonable question with a simple reasonable answer, no problem. Maybe the moon and the sun are out of alignment. Safe diving...

Well, least no one jumped me for bumping old threads... (oops, I shouldn't have said that :) )

Back
Top Bottom