How to 'check' hoses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beanojones

Contributor
Reaction score
How to 'check' hoses?

In many a thread here people have suggested not using hose protectors because then you cannot 'check' the hoses.

What are people checking for when they say they are checking the hoses?

Pulling the hose protectors back to see if there is corrosion or cracks in the rubber where it's crimped.

Bubbles, cracks, and corrosion. Mostly bubbles.

The rubber hose can separate from the crimped metal end fitting. If the hose has a protecter on it, you have to pull the protecter back in order to see the fitting. Also you want to check for dry-rotting in the hose by bending it and looking for cracks in the outside of the bend while you turn the hose like a driveshaft. Some hoses have built-in weak spots that will emit bubbles when the rubber is getting too thin (from the inside out) to be reliable. They can be seen as minute holes in the outside of the hose; they will be in line with one another along the length of the hose. If they don't emit bubbles underwater, the hose is ok.

The presence of a hose protecter relieves the strain on the end fitting. Of course you never get something for nothing, so you have to pull the hose back to see if corrosion is setting into the metal. Water doesn't drain away from under the protector as it does from the bare hose.

excellent question and helpful answers. I do look over my hoses but wasn't clear what I would eventually see happen to them...

excellent question and helpful answers. I do look over my hoses but wasn't clear what I would eventually see happen to them...

If you have hose protectors they can get a little snug and discourage you from pulling them back to inspect your hoses. Apply some spray silicone and you can slide them back to check your hoses, then slide them back in to position.

Another tip. inspect your hoses while mounted on a tank with the air pressure on. I have seen several hoses that look good with no pressure, but when the air is turned on they bubble or bulge. Just looking at them without air pressure will only reveal severe damage. Don't skimp on your hoses, replace them at the first sign of damage or wear.

i just found protectors useless, since i got crimps anyway, but on the hose where it came out of the protector instead of right off the first stage...

i just found protectors useless, since i got crimps anyway, but on the hose where it came out of the protector instead of right off the first stage...

So did the hose actually get damaged there?

(My experience is alomst completely with rental regs where no hose protector=dead hose sooner rather than later.)

My thought on hose protectors is use them, don't worry about moving it to check the hose. At overhaul, do the inspection. Rental=yearly overhauls, at minimum.

Rental also means hoses get worked since the reg are hung by hoses.

I would concur on hose protectors - use them, especially on the HP hose, although lets remember, a hose also bursts, leaks or fails in other areas besides the crimp and I am not sure if the protector will "Extend" the "entire" usefull hose life, it will certainly reduce hose failure at the crimp.

I'm too lazy to take a picture right now ( can if someone wants ) but after about 1 year and 70 dives I found a defect on my secondary reg LP hose. I don't use hose protectors and it looks like strain / crimp damage from the hose hanging down. Basically on the bottom side of the hose is a little protusion \/ shaped bump. You can only see it when the hose is depressurized and allowed to hang. One I charge the regulator it doesn't bulge but if you press your finger nail on it it feels softer and indents.

Now for the stupid question. I know it needs to be replaced... but think it's likely to survive one or two dives until I can get a new one? Or is this full stop until replace?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom