How To Be A Buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SEABAG - it's a basic NAUI acronym for a buddy check prior to diving. It's a reasonable start, but that's really all it is.

It is a start as it gives a common frame of reference for communication, which as you point out is crucial to being a good buddy. The system need not be elaborate, but someone who skips something as simple as that probably won't be a good buddy to begin with. I met my dive buddy of the last 22 years 9on and off) when I helped teach his certfication course. We started with the SEABAG check before each dive and it got to the point it was automatic. The activity later was photography and that does require a different set of buddy skills, but we still did the SEABAG, if unconsciously and to define each others expectations for the dive. I was on a trip with him in SOCAL recently and we picked right up on it despite not having been diving in two years together. Like I said, it provides a common frame of reference.

So, it seems that until some type of advanced training very few, if any, get specific training on How to be a diver. It also seems we all value having a partner on our dives. If nothing else it makes the dive more fun, and over the years brings a level of comfort that is very appealing, as covediver points out.

The real question then is: How do we change things so the How of being a buddy is covered in training?

Five foot above and five foot behind is not a good buddy, even though you have your buddy in sight the entire dive. You will probably see your buddy doing a lot of rolls and swimming in a circles and wonder why.

Five foot above and five foot behind is not a good buddy, even though you have your buddy in sight the entire dive. You will probably see your buddy doing a lot of rolls and swimming in a circles and wonder why.

That is where a good light and some training on how to use it as a communication tool comes in. It is amazing how much inter-diver communication and coordination can be accomplished with a light.

To me using a light as a communication tool should be taught to all divers; along with other aspects of How to be a Buddy.

Unfortunately, lights are pretty much useless in the environments where the vast majority of divers dive -- Warm, clear, sunlit tropical water. Positioning becomes very important in such circumstances, as does situational awareness. If you aren't checking on your buddy for two or three minutes at a time, it's easy to lose him, or be completely unaware that he needs some help (or just wants to show you the coolest thing you've seen on the whole trip so far!)

While both are important almost regardless of dive environment neither positioning nor lights are the whole communication story. But they both are key elements.

Just like most of us use a variety of methods for surface communication; so a variety are useful underwater. The key is to be trained on their use, practice and pre-brief so everyone knows what to expect.

Robert Rossier has a book "Dive Like a Pro" (ISBN 0-941332-75-6). While the entire contents of the book contain ideas that will make a diver a better buddy, he does have a chapter titled Seven Ways to be a Better Buddy. The ways are:
Know your buddy​
Plan the dive​
Review Procedures​
Assess Attitudes​
Make a Pre Dive Check​
Keep in Touch​
Stay Tuned (watch for any signs of discomfort or distress)​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom