How To Be A Buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ArcticDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Going through threads there seems to be a frequent and recurring theme of criticizing training for new divers. One aspect of OW training that I haven't seen mentioned at all is: "How to be a good buddy".

Everyone is taught they are supposed to dive with a buddy. Often dive operations require a buddy. There are a lot of disparaging comments about "Insta Buddies". Often divers opt to either dive solo or to use the "same ocean, same day" concept; which is effectively diving solo. So, this is a recurring and sometimes emotional issue.

But:
-What is a Good Buddy (Other than a dated CB call)?
-Have any of the SB folks been taught how to be a good buddy during their OW? How about during some other training?
-If you have been taught how to be a good buddy; what were you taught?
-Assuming training is lacking; what can we do to encourage the industry to do a better job of training people to be good buddies?

I think the first time that being a 'good buddy' sunk into my small brain was during the (PADI) Rescue course. That goes further than being a good buddy in many ways, but it pointed out many areas where I was previously not really a 'good' buddy.

I have to agree with you that, though having a buddy is taught ad infinitim, the concept of how to buddy is not done so well.

Looking at the issue critically: I've been taught skills and developed skills that I feel make me a good buddy. However, I do not recall specific training on being a good buddy.

Perhaps PADI will start offering a "buddy" certification for which one can get a card.

Excellent point.

It's mentioned in OW, but - frankly- OW students have their hands (and brains) full dealing with just diving to absorb all that much about being a good buddy.

I learned from my immediate post-OW dives, diving with a local club and being buddied up with an experienced and patient diver.

Heck, I'm still learning.

I was taught that I should be a good buddy in OW and AOW. I was not taught how one does that.

In my opinion, a good buddy:

Is responsible for his own dive. That means he participates in the dive planning, evaluates the proposed dive for safety according to his own parameters, and assesses his own skills and fitness to accomplish the dive as described in an honest way.

Participates in, or insists upon, a good equipment check before getting in the water.

Commits to remaining with his buddy or buddies throughout the dive. This is the prime imperative, and supercedes all other purposes of the dive (photographs, artifact recovery, etc.) As part of this, he commits to retaining a safety reserve of gas sufficient to get him and a teammate to the surface from any point of the dive.

Presents himself as a sufficient buddy. That means he has solid skills, recent proficiency with emergency procedures, and good quality and well maintained equipment. He should also have good situational awareness and an ability to communicate clearly and effectively underwater.

Has fun in the water.

Is willing to participate in a critical debrief of the dive, especially if he intends ever to dive with those buddies again. A kind but honest debrief is how we learn and improve.

My mentoring from Bob Bailey, and my course work with Steve White, Joe Talavera, Andrew Georgitsis, and Danny Riordan, taught me TONS about being a good buddy. So did the many dives I have done with my excellent teammates, like DoubleDip, Mo2vation, HBDiveGirl, rjack, limeyx, KMD, and others.

I was a useless buddy at the beginning. It is something that can be learned, once you understand that there IS something to learn, and decide you want to learn it.

I have learned to be a good buddy through the example of others, both good and bad.

The first thing is to be responsible for yourself. Make sure all your gear is packed and in working order before you meet your buddy. If you are sharing a ride, have the gear curbside ready to go when your buddy pulls up. Do your shopping before hand, don't expect your buddy to head to the nearest Safeway so you can buy breakfast and lunch.

Once at the dive site, as you gear up be attentive to your buddy's progress and needs without being intrusive.

Talk to each other. Use the simple SEABAG checklist we all learned in basic class to do a dive briefing emphaszing lost buddy procedures, who will lead, what you will be doing, etc (Signals, Emergency procedures, Activity including entries, Bouyancy check (weightbelt on) Air on, Go)

To these, may I add position yourself so that you and your buddy can maintain easy eye contact?

To these, may I add position yourself so that you and your buddy can maintain easy eye contact?
I would say maintain the best possible communication that the environment allows. Sometimes eye contact is just impossible, in which case, light signals can be substituted, although in such environments (typically cave/wreck) it's important to make sure you're self sufficient until your buddy can get to you.

The best buddies that I've had knew how to stay a few inches away on my right hand side, so that if I rocked just a bit to the right or they rocked just a bit to the left we'd gently graze each other. They were able to do this without ever getting entangled or out of position.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom