How to attach fiber optic cable to wp-dc28?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

widiver

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All
I currently have an inon d-180 strobe that i am using with an oly 5050 (pt-015). i am thinking of upgrading to the g10 with the wp-dc28. What type of adapter will I need to attach the fiber optic cable to the housing?
thanks
John

I used industrial velcro and a piece of plexiglass. I applied the velcro to the housing with a hole the size of the flash to allow the flash to be used without the strobe. I then cut a small section of plexiglass and drilled a hole to have a tight fit on the optical cable. I then attached the other side of the velcro to the plexiglass. I have dry tested the set-up and it works perfectly. One advantage to this set-up is it allows the housing to be used without strobe if needed.

I use a Sealife Flash Link for hooking up a G9 in a Canon case to a Sea & Sea YS-27DX,
Sealife | SL962 Flash Link Fiber Optic Sync Cable | SL962 | B&H
I had it left over from a sealife strobe I had and it works well.
The FO cables can be just the Toslink ones you get at Radio Shack
NXGŽ® 3-Ft. Basix Series Optical Toslink Digital Audio - RadioShack.com
or Newegg
Newegg.com - Rosewill RCW-H9001 6 ft. Toslink Optical Cable M-M - Audio Video Cables
for $7 - $8 with one end bare to fit in the clear plastic thing that comes with the SeaLife Flash Link. For $7 it's worth getting a spare FO cable. My cable did break once. Actually if you have any stereo or video equipment, you may already have a spare.
For the other end that fits in the strobe, just keep the connector and file it down ever so slightly to fit.
I cover the Sealife Flash link with some black Gaffers tape to eliminate backscatter from the internal strobe and to make it all just a bit more secure.

Last edited:
I bought one of these things ... FishEye Fix Optic Cable Connector.

Works great. Fixes permanently onto the front of the housing with double-sided tape, and all you then need is the Inon Clear View film and tape over the camera flash and you are up and running.

Unfortunately the site is listing them as out of stock, but you may be able to purchase them elsewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom