How to advertise a dive centre

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our shop has tried several traditional advertising methods. All have been very disappointing. About 6 months ago we tried Groupon.com. We offered discover scuba dives for $10.00 Group on took 5.00 of each one sold. We paid nothing up front. In 24 hours we sold close to 800 of them. In addition we get the attention of people that called an signed up for classes on the spot. We also had people call us to see what trips, training and services were available. We have had a decent conversion rate, not great but we didn't pay anything to conduct it. Probably the best promotion we've done to date.
Another good way to market your store is to set up a portable pool at street fairs and other large gatherings of people. we started out paying a fee to participate. After 2 years we now get paid to show up and then charge on to to try scuba in the pool. We sell a ton of kids programs and scuba birthdays. This year we also enjoyed being featured on a morning news show conducting a discover scuba. We also made the newspaper with a nice write up and also a promotional magazine touting our cities many activities. It might take a bit of legwork to get it started but once you get in promoters will seek you out for events.

Cheers,
Rich

Wow, so it looks like the most cost-effective, revenue generating ways of generating new customers are to rank well in organic search results for local searches (e.g. Scuba San Antonio), use a combination of social networking to create a following, and to utilise tools like Groupon.

Thanks everyone for the input! We're looking forward to using this information to generate more sales for dive centres! :)

A lot depends on your target market--if you sponsor a local event, like a dive site clean up, you probably don't want to spend dollars advertising that event to the international market. However, if you helped sponsor sinking a ship as a new artificial reef, you need to broadcast that to the local, regional, national and international markets, but it may be too expensive to advertise in those markets all at the same time, so you need to select what would be economically feasible for you. With the local market, you can probably depend on news coverage to initially reach them, however, you need to be more aggressive in the regional market because you do not know how broad the news coverage reached. Your regional advertising is more likely to produce better results because your targets can respond more quickly. If you are in Florida, of course Florida Scuba News is your best option because it is affordable and has a 25 year track record and following. A regional target can often pack up and dive the next weekend, but an international target, like someone from Japan for example, probably will not pack up and respond quickly, but perhaps they will plan their vacation in response to your ad. Media like Scubaboard reaches across local, regional, national and international markets plus it is affordable so it is a great option. I have been accused of being too long winded, and rightfully so, so I will try to wrap this up. There is a lot to consider when deciding where to advertise, like what you are trying to accomplish with your ad, how quick you need response, your budget, time line, goals and so much more. Most media will gladly help you define your needs to help you make an informed decision. Don't put all your eggs in one basket--spread out over different markets with a variety of ads to reach different targets.

Hey gang... I just reworked www.intermediapublications.com | so that you can order ScubaBoard advertising ON LINE. Let me know if we can help at all.

And I gotta tell you, I was leery of advertising online for a long time. I gave Pete a try, and gritted my teeth and kept on buying banner space, at a pretty inexpensive price. I started noticing that people would call me by my screen name at shows and at Wal-mart. I always thought that folks on forums were just internet divers but people you would never dream of reading a forum come on the boat and remark at something or another I've posted online. (Sometimes it even embarrasses me, the things I've said) ScubaBoard is now the number 2 generator of unique page loads to my website. Thanks, Pete.

Everyone needs more business, but specific needs sometimes demand specific actions. Years ago, a dive shop owner came to me and said his efforts only attracted "lookyloos" and "teenyboppers" who took up a lot of his time and spent very little money. I suggested he run an ad with Florida Scuba News (naturally) then take it another step further and take his bundle of free magazines, put a sticker on the cover directing readers to his ad, then each month take the magazines as a courtesy to professionals who have more discretionary income. For example, one month visit doctor offices and distribute the magazines for his customers, another month, go to lawyers, then dentists, etc. Don't go there to sell yourself, just offer free information for the owner and their customers. Try to shake the hand of the target and thank him or her for allowing you to distribute information to his customers--you will be surprised by how many you engage in conversations will say, "I have always wanted to learn to dive!" My friend told me within 6 months, he was planning a trip for his professional customers to the Great Barrier Reef--he was so excited! You can use the same type of effort to reach employees of large businesses in your area by talking to human resource managers and offering a free introduction to scuba diving to their employees. It would help their employees stay physically fit, reduce work stress, encourage commaradrie and so on....The key is variety, effort on your part, know your goals, be aggressive, define your markets and go after them. Don't just sit back and wait for business to beat down your doors because it ain't going to happen. I would always encourage businesses to distribute our free magazines so potential customers can read exciting stories about diving that they can participate in. When those customers want to pursue diving, they will come to you because you cared enough to seek them out and share valuable info with them, plus you already started building raport with them before they set foot in your shop! Make sure you distribute information about your store to area marinas, libraries, hotels, campgrounds, travel agencies, police and fire departments, professional groups as previously mentioned, clubs, church groups, etc. You don't have to tackle all of them at the same time, just plan out your efforts and carry out your plan. Be sure to offer activities to meet the needs of the groups you attract, ie like the Great Barrier Reef trip to the professionals after they completed lessons and had plenty of time to plan the trip. Going with other professionals was very attractive in selling the trip and securing future business.

And I gotta tell you, I was leery of advertising online for a long time. I gave Pete a try, and gritted my teeth and kept on buying banner space, at a pretty inexpensive price. I started noticing that people would call me by my screen name at shows and at Wal-mart. I always thought that folks on forums were just internet divers but people you would never dream of reading a forum come on the boat and remark at something or another I've posted online. (Sometimes it even embarrasses me, the things I've said) ScubaBoard is now the number 2 generator of unique page loads to my website. Thanks, Pete.
Wookie is a great example of someone who utilized the opportunities ScubaBoard has to offer. Was it difficult?
  1. He became a part of the Tribe.
  2. Utilized his signature line to the max.
  3. Treated his clients ethically at all times.
  4. Encouraged his clients to join the tribe and talk about him
  5. Advertised right here.

This will work for ANY forum you want it to: it doesn't have to be ScubaBoard. Sure, we are the biggest, but there are other forums out there. There is even Twitter and Facebook, but most people fail horribly at using them with any effectiveness. If you want to learn more, I will be giving a seminar under SDI/TDI on how to use social media to promote your business. No, it won't be an infomercial and it will cover all social media. Come be my guest.

and take his bundle of free magazines, put a sticker on the cover directing readers to his ad, then each month take the magazines as a courtesy to professionals who have more discretionary income.
Excellent idea! Get your name in as many local establishments as possible. You can do the same with your web presence.

First, make sure your website has it's own photo gallery. While I love for you to use mine, it's not helping you much. Make it available to your clients and be sure that you post your own pics on there, including any "winners" of any contest. People like to share and sharing their pics will bring their friends right back to you, again and again. Make sure they make it up to Facebook as well as any threads about you here on ScubaBoard (or other forums).

As for Facebook, if you don't have a "Fan Page", what are you waiting for? That should be on your site and in your sig line ASAP. Create a Twitter account to and connect the two. This way, everytime you post on your Face Book Fan Page, it updates your twitter. It's almost too easy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom