How soon for Dir-F

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lord1234

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
so, I had an experienced DIR diver tell me a few days ago that I should take Fundies BEFORE AOW. As in ASAP. I am interested in pursuing DIR as a diving style because a lot of the philosophies definitely appeal to me. Do y'all think that I should go for DIR asap? or wait a couple hundred dives?

--L1234
(regardless I would definitely not pass the first time)

lord1234:
so, I had an experienced DIR diver tell me a few days ago that I should take Fundies BEFORE AOW. As in ASAP. I am interested in pursuing DIR as a diving style because a lot of the philosophies definitely appeal to me. Do y'all think that I should go for DIR asap? or wait a couple hundred dives?

--L1234

A couple of hundred dives will leave you with ingrained habits that will be hard to break.... i've been there...

There was a guy in my class that only had a handful of dives when he took it and I was skeptical. After the class I was a believer and envious that I didn't have the same opportunity.

His story is on the board here somewhere from a few years ago... WJL.

bob

ASAP.

Get shown the right way NOW.

lord1234:

--L1234

I greatly pre-date DIRF, but I will still say take it immediately and avoid the otherwise inevitable stupidity. My girlfriend passed the first time with less than 50 dives so it isn't some impossible class for newer divers. She did have the advantage of never having done a non-DIR dive in her life and her basic skills were very solid, but she was a new diver. It will benefit you greatly to learn this stuff early on from someone used to explaining it well. And, having to go back if you get a provisional is probably beneficial to newer divers anyway.

You really can't get this stuff from the net or even other DIR divers. Newly minted DIRF guys don't comprehend it well enough to explain it and those with plenty of experience that truly understand it all tend to skip the parts that seem obvious to them. Your GUE instructructor on the otherhand knows exactly what is important to impart to those being exposed to this for the first time.

lord1234:

--L1234

Your post has several thought provoking points that I'm asked often so hopefully we can use this post as a reference point when this question is invariably asked again.

The DIR-F class is called "FUNDAMENTAL" for a very specific reason, and should be appoached accordingly. The DIR-F class is designed in such a fashion to teach diving skills that are fundamental to all diving. Similiar to if you were attending Culinary school, you'd start out learning the basics of sauteeing and grilling and then progress from there, or if you were considering learning to play piano. You'd start with the basic cords and then build from there.

The DIR-F class was born out of a frustration with the industry's willingness to shorten classes at the expense of skill development. As a result, you had card carrying "certified" divers that had very little skill in terms of basic stuff like balance, trim, bouyancy. Initially the DIR-F class was a workshop based training curriculm that aimed to take the pavlovian-dog like mentality out of the equation. By not offering a "certification" the goal of the class was different, rather then awarding a merit badge we tried to keep the focus on the fact that what was important, wasn't the "c-card", but rather the information and skill that we impart on the student. Unique at the time was this approach, and the results are manifest. With the success and popularity of the class came the need to more formalize the structure, which is where you see it today. Formalities notwithstanding, the end goal is still the learning of the "fundamental" skills associated with the class. Based on the foregoing, my advise to ANYONE considering this class is that they don't spend their days "training" or "practising" for the class, but rather enroll as early in your dive career as you can so you can learn from the early stages the proper way to do the skills, and then afterwards by all means train and practice. The class certainly has benefits for divers of all skill levels, but my experience(s) have been that newer divers absorb more then divers that are already set in their ways and/or have developed habits that are inconsistent with the DIR paradigm.

The other thing the individual should consider is their own diving goals. While the AOW class is a way to "earn" another c-card, generally speaking, the class does very little in terms of skill improvement. Naturally, that is a generalization, and there are a wealth of qualified instructors out there that go above and beyond and do give the student(s) value, but I suspect most of us believe that upon completion of an "advanced" class most divers could hardly be considered "advanced" divers.

Hope that helps.

Regards

MHK:
The other thing the individual should consider is their own diving goals. While the AOW class is a way to "earn" another c-card, generally speaking, the class does very little in terms of skill improvement. Naturally, that is a generalization, and there are a wealth of qualified instructors out there that go above and beyond and do give the student(s) value, but I suspect most of us believe that upon completion of an "advanced" class most divers could hardly be considered "advanced" divers.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Let me add a non-politically correct expansion of the above since I meant to in my original post. Most AOW classes are complete crap and, unless you have abysmal diving skills, won't benefit you very much. There are rare exceptions to this but they really are exceptions. AOW is basically 5 dives under the supervision of an instructor with maybe a few beneficial pointers, and, often, bad advice that will conflict with what you will learn in fundamentals.

wb416:
His story is on the board here somewhere from a few years ago... WJL.

bob
As Bob described, I took the Fundamentals class within a month after I got my OW certification. I had about a dozen dives total when I showed up for the first day of class. I found the class to be a great learning experience, and I'm convinced that taking it then was an advantage over taking it later.

The Fundamentals class really is basic stuff that any diver would find hugely helpful. The sooner you learn it, the better. The later you learn it, the more you have to "unlearn" or learn over.

I did have more trouble than my more experienced classmates with basic skills, but that didn't make as big a difference as you might expect - there is so much more to the class that was new and different for everyone, that I think everyone had a bit of the "going back to the beginning" feeling. For me as a brand new diver, I didn't expect to have it all nailed and I did expect that it would take a while to assimilate all this new stuff being presented. So my being inept and looking goofy on the video wasn't exactly fun, but wasn't unexpected. Whereas, some people in the class who had been diving deep wrecks and trimix for years had a hard time accepting that they were having trouble with the class and maybe weren't as good as they thought they were. (Not Bob, in case you were wondering).

What I got from the class was a solid foundation on which to build up my skills. For me, in effect it was an extension of my basic OW course, and it gave me the direction that has guided all my diving since. I second the advice to take the class ASAP.

I had about 20 logged dives or so dives when I took Fundies. Definitely take it ASAP! Don't concentrate on passing, concentrate on learning something and becoming a better diver. If you do that, in all reality, you truly do pass.....

lord1234:

--L1234

Wait until 5000 dives, at least U bonehead :11ztongue

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom