How soon can I dive after my bout with swimmers ear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTodd77

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just got over a severe case of swimmers ear...so how soon can I get wet? I'd really like to dive this weekend, but I don't want to stir the infection up again either, as it was really painful.

If you were treated by a physician how long did they tell you? Have you had a follow up since?
I had what I considered a severe case and was out of the water a couple weeks. I've known others to be out up to 4 weeks.

I would think you would want to wait four or five days after you are completely asymptomatic OFF medication.

The Doc. didn't say and I was in so much pain I forgot to ask. I was on a ear drop antibiotic, a regular pill antibiotic and loads of lortabs. Finally got back to normal yesterday...I may put off diving for another week :( I have a dive trip planned for the first week of June and really don't wanna screw that up.

FWIW: I have had numerous cases of swimmers ear over the past 30+ years of diving, extremely painful.

The key for me to prevent reinfections if to use some type of ear-drying drops after every day of diving. Purchased or home brew ear beer, both work IF used before your ear becomes painful. If you wait too long then its a doctors visit, antibiotics and no diving for a week. It can really screw up a week of vacation.

FWIW: I have had numerous cases of swimmers ear over the past 30+ years of diving, extremely painful.

The key for me to prevent reinfections if to use some type of ear-drying drops after every day of diving. Purchased or home brew ear beer, both work IF used before your ear becomes painful. If you wait too long then its a doctors visit, antibiotics and no diving for a week. It can really screw up a week of vacation.

White vinegar and alcohol, 1:1, with a little glycerin on top.

I've had only one mild case in years. I use a hood for cold diving, Doc's Pro Plugs for warm diving. Both keep enough water out. That one time I got it was after a couple of long hours pool sessions with an OW class during my DM class--Didn't wear either the hood or plugs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom