How soon can I begin diving again?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you say you are 50, what is your BMI ?
and how long can you run ?
make a test and see how far you get if you run for 30 mins,
this methode will very easily reveal your physical health level,
you should get 5km or 3.1 miles for an avarage healthy 40-50 years old male.
it is suggested to be a bit over avarage fit for divers.

Hi Thomas :)

OK...I cannot run...ha! Have had two back surgeries since 2006. Was a runner for 15 years and because of my back, I decided to go for the water!

I do understand your comment and realize that percent body fat and fitness level are important aspects to consider when diving. Currently, I do indeed have too much body fat...yet, I'm pretty fit (it's possible :)). Recently completed my Divemaster swim tests with respectable scores...especiallly for a 50 year old :).

However, because of this incident, I will indeed be working a bit harder on ridding myself of the excess adipose tissue!!

Thanks DocVikingo...I'll be sure to check out the thread!

great my friend, you dont need to be marathon runner to be a good diver, you got it :)
Good to be a little bit aware of own BMI and health level, and do something about it,
I know I could loose a few my self, and look and feel better by it too.

how do you handle the weight of tanks and lead and such when you need to carry it and walk with it to exit and enter water ?
I know I hate long walks with all my stuff on !

Thought I'd provide an update as a couple of you had expressed interest in hearing a follow-up.

Unfortunately, my echo and bubble-test was positive. I do have a PFO. I plan to take part in the research study that is being conducted through DAN.

For those of you who may be curious about recommendations, etc., I'll share with you how my dive physician has addressed the issue. Once again, I found him via DAN referral and feel that he has been an exceptional doctor.

The first step that he took with me was to reinforce that this subject (diving/PFO's) was a very controversial area. He said the first decision was whether or not to put me back in the water. So, he actually gave me some reading assignments! He said to call back when I had finished the reading and made a decision as to whether or not I wanted to try and dive again.

My decision was to indeed return to diving, yet I knew that I would probably be diving in a new way. Because I had a fair number of previous dives without problem (about 115), and the instance with DCS occurred while diving in a way that I had not typically dived (5 repetitive days, deeper dives, longer bottom times, ... bottom line, just a much higher nitrogen load) ... I really felt and do feel that I will be fine with a more conservative approach. If I would happen to experience another bout of DCS, my decision would probably then change.

The parameters that my doctor has suggested include:
1) Depth Limit of 40 feet (ouch!)
2) Nitrox
3) Limit of only one dive per day
4) Do not dive on repetitive days
5) Extend safety stop time to 5 minutes

I had just finished my DM cert the week prior to the "hit" ... however, it was suggested that I not pursue that avenue. I certainly understood the suggestion and why it was a valid one on many levels.

It's taken some time to digest this change as I had hoped to do many things through diving. However...as time moves along, I'm realizing how lucky I am to have had so many wonderful experiences and that I will still get to dive...just in a different way.

I've been on scuba board much more so during my surface interval and realized that there seems to be a fair amount of interest in the PFO issue...so I'm hoping that my post may be helpful to someone.

Was planning to do my return to the water this weekend, but conditions have delayed me. So...am shooting for next weekend!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom