How soon can I begin diving again?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

koyote1111

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Was recently treated for DCI. Primary symptoms were bruising, rash, joint pain (hips), and upper leg pain. Neurological symptoms included loss of balance and nystagmis. Did 5 treatments in the chamber...two long tables and three short. Symptoms have resolved, yet am still feeling a bit fatigued.

The doctor who was in charge of my treatment did say that I could begin diving in a month...however, others have suggested that this seems like a short period of time.

My case was unexplained...I was within all limits, no rapid ascents, etc. Had logged 120 dives with no problems. However, I had completed a week of diving that presented my body with new scenarios. Did two dives a day for five days in a row, was going deeper throughout the week (3 dives over 100 ft.), and was logging much longer bottom time than my typical dives. However, I did stay within the no stop parameters.

I am 50 years old ... just completed my divemaster certification. Therefore...am feeling a bit distraught.

Am willing to take a very conservative approach. Am also trying to locate a dive physician in the Los Angeles area. Does DAN have a list of recommended physicians?

Would appreciate helpful feedback...thanks so much...

Hello koyote1111:

DCS Treatment

It is not unusual to feel fatigued after hyperbaric oxygen treatments. This applies to any condition and not solely to DCS treatment. In my experience, I have seldom heard a patient say they were energized, irrespective of what athletes might do during a game. [Much of athletics is emotional – the pep talk, for example.] If an athlete “feels good” then so much the better

Dive Again

This 30-day interval seems short for a recreational diver. The suggestion of others appears correct, to me. DAN does maintain a list of recommended diving physicians in the LA area.

Within the Tables

At least half of the DCS incidents are within the tables and without cause. This could be the result of arterialized gas bubbles. Sometimes these can come from “Valsalva-like maneuvers” such as breath holding while straining, sneezing, or coughing shortly after the completion of the dive [when most venous bubbles are present].

Dr Deco :doctor:

Thanks so much Dr. Deco for the information...I truly appreciate it. I will call DAN and find a physician and get a second opinion regarding how long my "surface interval" should be.

I was doing a lot of photography and think that it is possible that I could have been holding my breath a bit while snapping pictures. I'm a rookie with regard to the camera. Was also drift diving and trying to maintain my position...so there was a bit of effort involved.

It also felt reassuring to hear that it's not unusual to feel the fatigue. Not sure that it's all related to time in the chamber...perhaps that in combination with the stressor and still recuperating from the travel.

Again...thanks so very much

Honestly its your life your dealing with. Id contact Dan in reguards to this.

Hi koyote1111,

I'll go farther than DrDeco and say a 30-day interval is short for a diver who sustained signs of neurological involvement such as loss of balance and nystagmus along with multiple signs and symptoms of Type 1 DCS.

I suggest that you read the following --> Diving Medicine FAQs; Return to Diving After DCI; DAN Divers Alert Network

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such

Thanks DocVikingo ...

I've schedule an appt. with a dive physician. DAN provided a list of recommendations for my area. I was thinking that a month might be a bit too soon...sure don't want to experience this again!

I appreciate the link...it was informative and helpful!

Koyote1111

Thanks DocVikingo ...

I've schedule an appt. with a dive physician. DAN provided a list of recommendations for my area. I was thinking that a month might be a bit too soon...sure don't want to experience this again!

I appreciate the link...it was informative and helpful!

Koyote1111

Please post back after your appointment. I would like to hear what the dive physician has to say.

Thanks,

Ron

Am just providing an update for those who were interested. I saw a dive physician today...one recommended by DAN. I felt very good about the visit...he was highly qualified and also spent a good deal of time with me.

He also looked at my dive profiles for the week (he is also an active diver) and said that my case was definitely one that was considered "unexplained/undeserved". He also said that about 50% of DCS cases fall into that category.

He is asking me to have an echocardiogram to rule out Patent Foramen Ovale -
Patent foramen ovale - MayoClinic.com

If the results of this test are OK...which I anticipate them to be...I can begin diving in six weeks after the DCS occurred. He said that because I had relatively few and minor neurological symptoms that a shorter "surface interval" would be safe.

I imagine that I will now utilize Nitrox for all diving and move to the most conservative setting on my dive computer. He did also say to limit myself to 2 dives per day.

So...I'm feeling very happy to know that I will be back in the water soon. Feel confident that the echo will not show a problem!

Am just providing an update for those who were interested. I saw a dive physician today...one recommended by DAN....If the results of this test are OK...which I anticipate them to be...I can begin diving in six weeks after the DCS occurred.

Thanks so much for the follow up. Six weeks sounds more like it. Some experts recommend six weeks after the resolution of signs/symptoms rather than after the actual incident itself. However, in your case this does not appear to be a meaningful concern.

An assessment for PFO seems prudent. If you are interested, it's an often discussed topic in this forum --> http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/search.php?searchid=686705

Please let the board know of the echocardiogram findings.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom