How should a fin actually fit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

unit240

Reaction score
This may be a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway. I did a forum search and did not find a definite answer. I just received a pair of IDI Powerfins today. They are a size XL and are brand new. I could not fit into a Jetfin size XL and the XXL Jetfin was way to big. Legth was okay, but sloppy every other way. I am trying to find out how much of a persons heal should be left sticking out of the fin to have a good fit. I understand that if there is too much, it can cause foot cramps. I have about 2 and 1/2 - 3 inches sticking out. Is this too much? With my Quattros I don't have as much sticking out, but they are cut different. For what it is worth I am diving wet with a 3 mil or a 7 mil bootie depending on water temp. Thanks in advance. Pictures would be great.

Unit240

wish I could help. Haven't dove those in years.

if your foot fits in the footpocket fine, to the front, snug all around, it fits fine. your foot will stick out further if you have a bigger foot.

I ran into the same problem with the Jets, so I bought turtles. They have a touch of side to side play, but fit perfect otherwise. I figure, if it's comfortable, and works well, it fits well enough.

unit240:
I just received a pair of IDI Powerfins today. They are a size XL and are brand new. I could not fit into a Jetfin size XL and the XXL Jetfin was way to big. Legth was okay, but sloppy every other way. I am trying to find out how much of a persons heal should be left sticking out of the fin to have a good fit. I understand that if there is too much, it can cause foot cramps. I have about 2 and 1/2 - 3 inches sticking out. Is this too much?
Unit240

When I bought mine at my LDS they said that you want about 1'" hanging over. If I am reading your post right you have 3" of your foot hanging over the back of the fin. I think that would be uncomfortable when finning. I do have to agree that some fins are cut different and won't have that much in the foot but 3" sounds like a lot.

well, to have 1" hanging over with a size 12 foot, would seem unreasonable. Especially considering I'm wearing trek boots. This is why I was leary of giving a number. Some people have big feet and they are just gonna have more heel sticking out.

bcsean:
well, to have 1" hanging over with a size 12 foot, would seem unreasonable. Especially considering I'm wearing trek boots. This is why I was leary of giving a number. Some people have big feet and they are just gonna have more heel sticking out.

I have a size 12 foot. I put my boots on and measured and I have about 5/8" from the back of the boot to the fin. This is only with a regular boot not a hard sole, just regular 5mm neo boot. I haven't had any problems. If you have a norrow foot or a wide foot that is going to change the whole formula.
I really don't think that there is a set amount but 3" sounds way over board. 3" is going to put the end of the fin pocket at the begining of the arch of the foot. Personally I wouldn't wear them.

Im gonna bump this thread and throw in my newb two cents. I have Deep See 6.5mm boots size 11 and Tusa X-Pert Zoom open heel fins, size Medium, and my heel sticks out about two inches. This is brand new gear and I havnt water tested it yet. I might go back to the dive shop and try out the size 11 boots with a size large fin and see if that will throw everything off or if it will work out better.

My XXXL Bare Trek boots in my XXL Jets have the entire heel sticking out (about 4 inches).

My wetsuit booties in my Tusa Zooms stick out about 1 inch.

I find them both comfortable.

I tried on a pair of XL jetfins recently after hearing all the talk about them on the boards. They fit my foot fine in terms of length, but there was way too much play around my toes. The fin flopped around on the end of my foot.

I'm guessing these fins are really meant for some sort of hard-soled shoe. My little 3mm sock type booties just didn't cut it, and I put the fins back on the shelf.

Any ideas where I'm going wrong? Does this fin require a different kind of boot to make work properly?

Back
Top Bottom