how rainy is the rainy season in Fiji?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

song

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've still got Post Bonaire Depression from a recent return. A jaunt to Maui is planned for October. Now I'm looking ahead to the Next Great Dive Trip, hopefully in the January, February, early March time frame to keep the winter blues away. Maybe Bequ, probably not Taveuni during rainy season.

I haven't gotten any farther into the Pacific than Hawaii so far. Fiji is high on my to-dive list and that LAX-Nadi nonstop is appealing. But how much do I need to worry about the rainy season raining on my parade? Yeah, I know, already wet underwater. But admit it, especially for the photographers, sunlight just makes the diving that much better. Not to forget that freshwater run-off affects the viz.

So what to do...Fiji in rainy season or look towards Asia or the Caribbean?

It's not just that the rainy season is in full swing during the time frame you want to go to Fiji, it is the typhoon season. So, the rain will be measured in feet, not inches, and in addition, destructive hurricane force winds, with the potential for big storm surges of several feet as well.
My friends who lived there would pull the boats from the water and come back to the U.S. during Jan. and Feb. Go to Fiji, but not then!

Thanks for the valuable info, chicoval. Will relook at Fiji the (U.S.) summer months. Guess I'll think about Indonesia or Raja Ampat instead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom