How prestigious is the PADI divemaster rating?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, I'm impressed, at least initially, with any dive master as that person has put in a fair amount of time, effort and money to earn that title. Which agency, not so much.

As someone alluded to earlier, "dive master" sounds more impressive than "instructor." It was a couple of years before I realized instructors are top dog.

As someone alluded to earlier, "dive master" sounds more impressive than "instructor." It was a couple of years before I realized instructors are top dog.

The first time I acted as a divemaster in class instruction, I was quite nervous and hoping to do my job well, and that job was essentially to watch the class and make sure no one drowned. The very capable and veteran instructor introduced me to the class as "her divemaster." Later on one of the students asked me what they were all wondering--why was I, evidently some sort of a scuba God, watching the class? Was I evaluating this lowly instructor's performance?

temet vince:
I'm glad I'm getting my open water certification with PADI since it is the largest certification organization, so I know everywhere will accept my certification.

You'll have no problems with your certification being accepted anywhere with PADI or a host of other agencies. Continue to be glad you're getting your certfication with PADI if you like, but find another reason. PADI is not more widely acceoted than other agencies.

temet vince:
However, as I continue to dive, is PADI really that prestigious compared to other certification groups?

No.

temet vince:
In other aspects of life, popular doesn't always translate to best.

True, it's rare when the most popular is best. Of course all value judgements (any time we talk about best, we are looking for or sharing a value judgement) are opinions.

temet vince:
I know many people here are PADI certified Divemasters, and I'm not meaning to step on any toes. I was just looking for an honest answer. If I get into scuba diving, and I really want to become the best I can be, should I stick with PADI or are there other organizations that would better suit me?

How do you define best? Lowest cost? Quickest class? More time for practice? Learn more skills? Learn fewer skills? Reduce the chances of panic? Tell us what "best" means to you and we may be able to answer your questions.

temet vince:
Perhaps PADI is the best. I have no clue. That's why I'm asking. There was just another member that insinuated that PADI divemaster rating wasn't that great (comparatively), so I felt it was prudent to see how PADI is perceived by the diving community as a whole.

As I said above, it depends on what you value. The PADI DM is more typically used as an Assistant Instructor instead of as an actual Dive Master, but there are exceptions.

Greetings again vince and I am not sure if prestige is the right word to describe what a DM does.
I have witnessed some awesome DM's from most agencies who go far above the requirements to ensure safe dives and training!
To be fair a good DM usually is accompanied by a awesome instructor who is the reason the DM is good!
Any DM who has crashed their ears working with new divers on OW dives 1&2 earn a little training credit but PRESTIGE is a pretty strong word.

If you are speculating on the diving quality of a entry level dive professional then it really depends on the individual in question.
EACH DIVER STANDS ON HIS OR HER OWN MERIT NOT WHAT RATING OR CARD THEY HOLD!
The sooner you realize this the safer your future dives will be.
Take your training very serious and train hard to be the best diver you can be.
Set diving goals and do not limit yourself to any level or card but move on learning all the time.
Master skills to ensure you can perform them when it counts and always dive within your training / experience.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

Being very happy in my present relationship I have not had the opportunity to use it yet to pick up women in bars or far away dive centers. Therefore I would not be able to tell you how prestigious it might be for somebody at the receiving end.

Joke aside, something that was engrained in me when I started martial arts...as you go up in belts you are only competing against yourself...nobody else. Black belt is only the beginning of a new adventure. That is how I also view my progression in diving. Divemaster was only a step and not an end in itself. Having said that, I do not aspire becoming an instructor...but I have no problem assisting others if required. My present interest now lies in some technical aspects of diving.

It would be interesting to see a comparison of the number of DMs that each agency turns out per year...

You aren't committed to PADI because you took a PADI open water course. You can generally go and forth between agencies up till the professional levels. Then you would need to do a crossover.

So, take your class, pay attention then go dive and have fun. If you continue in your diving education, decide at that time whether your next class is PADI or somebody else.

I'm a PADI DM but I certainly didn't do it for prestige nor do I think I get any for it. I did it because I enjoy diving and its another way to find a reason to get in the water.

From your experience:
No, DM's are generally journeymen divers with adequate skills. Some are better; some are worse. The DM certification at least indicates that a diver has tried to better his or her skills to a certain degree and has made a commitment to do so. The requirements to certify as a DM seem to be about the same for most agencies.

Myself, I have never been certified as a Dive Master. When I started in the YMCA program there was no YMCA "Dive Master" certification. The progression was: Scuba Diver - Assistant Instructor - Instructor. Even though I never have been a DM, I can still make a decent pot of coffee on a boat in the seaway.

As a charter boat captain, I have to make a quick assessment of divers who come on my boat before I can decide what wrecks they may be qualified to dive. Certification level and certification agency are only two factors that I consider. In fact, they are not at the top of my list. That said, I find that most PADI DM's can be trusted to be able to dive in average conditions to moderate depths without too much trouble. I have, however, come across the exception.

So basically they are just another diver. :D

If I get into scuba diving, and I really want to become the best I can be, should I stick with PADI or are there other organizations that would better suit me?

Have you seen the 5thD-X videos on youtube?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom