How old of air to breath?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hallmac, is the THC in your air what makes people high on life? Hahaha :D

Just to help them relax and breathe slower. :D

For those who don't know T.H.C. Stands for Total Hydrocarbons.

Not quite that simple. Air isn't pure. It has moisture and organic stuff. I'm not an O-chemist, so I thought I'd ask.:D

There shouldn't be any organic "stuff" in scuba breathing air unless the fill station has totally disregarded all protocols.

With the rain here in socal, and the general water conditions, I haven't been wet in 3 months. I do have a 3 month old fill, though. Would you use it or empty it?

Tank is a steel 100 and was tumbled last Fall. Thanks!

Short answer: Since it's a steel cylinder, analyze the gas for O2 content before you use it, even it's filled with just air. If you get a funny O2 reading, drain the cylinder and have it visually inspected. If the O2 reading is okay, it's good to go in all likelihood.

Here's the long, long, detailed answer with the facts:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tanks-valves-bands/260189-scuba-cylinder-long-term-storage-fact-fiction.html

I've been diving the same old air (topside) for almost 60 years. Hasn't given me any problems yet (except when I'm exchanging air with a 40-something hottie.....lol)

Reactions: Jax
There is no ''expiration date'' on fills. I work in the compress gas industry and, even for medical gasses, we do not have ''expiration date''.

With the rain here in socal, and the general water conditions, I haven't been wet in 3 months. I do have a 3 month old fill, though. Would you use it or empty it?

Tank is a steel 100 and was tumbled last Fall. Thanks!

There should be no problem using the air. The real problem is storing a tank for a long period of time full. This will not create a problem in the short run but can cause problems long term more so with aluminum tanks then steel tanks. You would be better off to store the tank with a few hundred pounds rather then full.

Doc Harry is right. If you're that worried analyze it. If it rusted inside the O2 percentage would drop. Since it is a steel you can also smack it with a plastic hammer, you're looking for a deep bell like tone (this test is inapplicable to aluminum tanks). If it is a dull thud like an AL80 that's not so good. The rust or moisture inside is not an issue per se for breathing, commercial guys who get fed from an LP compressor are breathing some pretty wet air. Your first stage filter will catch particulate matter, that is one check you should be doing, if that visible filter changes color from one tank that's not so good either.

I've been diving the same old air (topside) for almost 60 years. Hasn't given me any problems yet (except when I'm exchanging air with a 40-something hottie.....lol)

Is it then the quality of the air or the availability of said air?
:)
Keep having fun!

Runway1, good question, good answers.

If your mind has not yet been set at ease, know that if the fill was good to start with and your tank was clean the air will be good for a long long long time. On the other hand, if you crack open the valve and you can smell any hint of anything you want the tank drained and inspected.

-Bryan

PS. On a lighter note, the flip answer to the question "can I use old air" is that all air is already billions of years old.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom