How old is "too old"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As tursiops pointed out, as you age you make adjustments. I don't do strenuous dives anymore, and carrying a lot of gear over distance is something I really try to avoid.

There are shore entries that I've done hundreds of times in the past. Not now, though. I use my steel hp 45 C.F. much more often that anything larger for shallow jetty and inlet dives that are in any case limited by the 45 or so minutes between incoming and outgoing tide changes.

I've been diving for a long, long, time, and I'll admit it's frustrating at times admitting to myself that things that once were effortless are no longer so.

I'm 71, certified in 1972 but diving on and off since I was a teenager. I really began to notice that I was unable to do everything I used to do when I reached my mid- 60s. Before that any decline was so gradual that I didn't notice. Because I work very hard at staying physically fit I was easily able to outperform much younger divers well into my 50s.

I've never measured my surface air consumption, but on resort group dives I still surface with more air than anyone excepting DMs and instructors, and sometimes I have more air left than they do. Of course, they are working harder than I am.

Some of my advantages are adaptive. I've learned to move underwater very efficiently over the years, and I try never to feel feel 'stoked' or 'pumped'. The only time this happens is when I'm fish collecting and spot something rare that I want very much. Otherwise, I breath slowly, deeply, and evenly. I try to cultivate an alert Zen relaxation. It's a great feeling. I also never do anything connected with scuba impulsively, and I plan everything very carefully. I'm a solo diver, whether diving alone, or with a group.

At 71 I have to be realistic. I appraise my abilities and condition before every dive, and every year I make whatever adjustments that time may make necessary. I'll continue to dive for as long as whatever kind diving to which changing circumstances limit me remains enjoyable. I think I've got a way to go.

"At 71 I have to be realistic. I appraise my abilities and condition before every dive, and every year I make whatever adjustments that time may make necessary. I'll continue to dive for as long as whatever kind diving to which changing circumstances limit me remains enjoyable. I think I've got a way to go."

Seriously, how old is too old for sex? Is that a reasonably analogy?

Last edited:
I have quit planned decompression diving after checking off Truk lagoon from my bucket list. My wife made me quit caves several years ago. I know it is not true but it seems every time I read about someone dieing on a dive up here in the GPNW they are over 50 and new to drysuits, so no drysuits for me. I'll limit myself to giant stride off the back of a liveaboard in calm waters. I am planning a river cruise in Europe in 2015.

Viking?

Viking just added some real interesting Med Cruises, hell one is exactly like the "free" Med cruise I went on in the 70's. However, I would not bring my wife to the same "attractions" on this cruise.

Jerry Greenberg (artist/photographer of all those Fish ID cards) still dives in Key Largo off his own boat several times a week sea conditions permitting at age 94.
Stan Waterman recently announced he was finally parking his fins at age 90.

As we age we start to make adjustments and understand our personal limits. I'm sure that I won't be tech or cave or cold water diving in my 70s, but I hope by then I've done all those bucket list dives. Hopefully I will an 80-80-80 diver into my 80s. (80 deg, 80 ft max, 80 ft viz).

Thanks - a lot of this is what I expected and what I needed to hear again. I guess our bodies will tell us when "it's time". Between now and then I think I'll have to get comfortable with accepting help and making accommodations as needed (i.e., taking off gear in the water and letting a youngster haul it up if necessary). I can't imagine my life without diving - it's too much fun - I can't imagine vacation without diving. :)

I have personally not seen a boat diving operation, day or liveaboard, that will not help someone with their gear if they require it. That's both for entry into and exit from the water. And it's not age ... it could also be a disability or injury. Many such divers are fine once they're in the water. It's the in and out that are rough.

Yeh I have a bad back and it's not getting better as I enter what are undeniable my middle years now. I have taken to putting gear on in the water when I can- the dive guys on the boat have always obliged when I ask.

I suffer from arthritus. Had both hips replaced while in my 50s. I started diving when I was 61. Diving has become my main passion in life.

I turn 67 soon and am definitely slowing down. I try not to lug heavy gear around as much as possible and avoid the difficult shore entries.

One of the things I love about diving is that it is a sport that us "elderly" people can continue to enjoy. I really get a kick out of helping new divers. I started my DM course this year and have finished the hard parts including the water skills.

I won't stop diving until I must. Fortunately, my sons are ready to do the heavy lifting if I need it.

I took up downhill skiing at 45. My wife has been a diver for years and I have been an observer. At age 55 I took my PADI OW course and after cursing the "kids" discovered I loved it, everything about it. I have no idea what I'll do at 65, but diving is now a part of my life. Age, to me, is an attitude not a physical state, and I prefer to adopt a positive attitude. "Youth is wasted on the young." Or said an older friend of mine as he took up surfing, at age 65.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom