How old is 'too old' for a back-up dive computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm new to the sport and found a low price ($50) on a Suunto Vyper. From what I read on this board it appears to be rather old. It is black (someone commented that the black models are old), and it's serial number is 003420, which is I read could mean it's from the year 2000.

I was considering buying a Suunto Cobra 3 as my main computer and read that on this board that you want the same level of conservatism on the backup computer (eg same brand). How concerned should I be about having a back-up computer that's 20 years old (if that is truly it's age)?

I appreciate any advice and please let me know if I'm mistaken in any of my assumptions above.

The vyper's last a long time. If your eyes are acute or young enough to actually read it they are still fine computers. Most of us have transitioned to backlite displays due to easier readability. I wouldn't pay more the $50 ($40 would be better) but it should still last awhile.

IMG_2321.jpg

How old is 'too old' for a back-up dive computer?

Provided that I am diving exclusively on air -- since the model, above, pre-dated the wider use of nitrox -- I still have a fully-functional SeaQuest / Suunto Solution, from circa 1992.

As per your question -- what? -- an excess of twenty-nine years?

Well, I know guys who still dive with an Uwatec Aladin Pro (around here aka Petit Gris), a computer first marketed in 1990.

So, if battery and pressure sensor are still operational, and you know what you can expect from the algorithm you're good to go, I guess.

Up until recently my Uwatec Aladin Pro Nitrox was my backup.

I dove a Suunto Vyper that I bought in 2004 up until recently. It was paired up with a Suunto Cobra 1 which I only ever looked at to check air. I only bought new computers because I wanted to, not because I had to. Both computers used the same software from what I can tell so I pulled the data off the Cobra since it had useful air consumption information.

Nothing is too old for a back-up as long as it still works. The most important thing is that the backup runs the same algorithm as your primary.

Older than about 80 you probably shouldn't be doing dives that require a backup computer

I use a Suunto Cobra 1 as my only computer. It's over 20 years old and is still going strong and has never failed me.

I use a Vyper in gauge mode attached to one of the arms on my camera housing.

I've had this computer since new in 2004 when I started using Nitrox.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom