How old is 'too old' for a back-up dive computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recall someone mentioning in a thread a year or so ago (?) that the life expectancy of a dive computer was about 10 years. While they may have had a vested interest in promoting this idea, I never felt it was valid. This is proven out by the various comments above. Look after your gear and understand its limitations and it will keep you safe.

I wouldn't even worry about the same programming. I have an Oceanic and got a Shearwater as an update. The shearwater is much nicer to use, so all I have to do with the Oceanic is keep a battery in it and that is the backup. The Shearwater is run much more conservative than the Oceanic. Knowing that the Shearwater will always show deco first.

One thing about deco, it is not a clear line. The math and formulas are based on theory and a small practical experiments, usually in controlled conditions. When you hear that one computer gives more bottom time than another, it doesn't really. The computer doesn't give you any time. What the computer does is push the formulas and theories a little further. Given time you will find yourself in a conversation with other divers running different computers and someone will feel cheated that there computer sent them up 2 minutes before someone else that dove the same. Or someone will say they get more bottom time out of there computer. They don't understand. It isn't more or less time, it is more or less conservative. As stated, not a line, but more of a zone, and how far to push into that zone.

For $50, working computer, good start/backup/loaner.

As long as it works and can handle nitrox (if you dive that), then you’re good.

We still use vypers (and gekkos.) Some out there have had issues, but if they work, they work. If I get sloppy and flood one I buy another used one. We tend to spend money on travel rather than computers.

We always dive with backups, and hopefully still will at 80. Not because the backup is necessarily critical to a particular dive, but because its critical to not screwing up the next dives on an expensive trip.

Back
Top Bottom