How Old is Grumpy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamesBon92007

Contributor
Reaction score
Southern California...too far from the ocean
# of dives
2500 - 4999
When I first noticed the Grumpy Old Divers forum I think the enrollment age was 50. At that time I was in my 50s and thought nothing of it. Since then I have read such things as certain Dive Ops considering not serving anyone over 50 because they are "old." I am wondering if we are doing ourselves a disservice by setting the bar so low. Perhaps we need to up the definition of old to at least 90. Of course we would then lose a lot of G.O.D.s but the resulting social impact might be to our advantage.

I've also read that some of the younger (possibly adrenaline junkies) people consider scuba diving these days to be an "old man" sport. If that is the case then 50 could be the beginning of the sport for many so they are, to some extent, the youngsters. 50 certainly seems young to me now :wink: And at 63 I often feel like a newbie compared to many Scubaboard members.

There are grumpy divers of all ages. There are old divers who are not grumpy.
There are only a few divers who are both old and grumpy.
I'd prefer the forum to be for either old divers, or grumpy divers.
That way I could join in on discussions of issues for old divers, and ignore the grumpy forum which would be presumably full of, well, grumpy people, who are best ignored.
Now, how old is old? That is a matter of fitness and attitude.

Back
Top Bottom