How old do you plan to dive til?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Damn, a bunch of old divers ! A lot from the Baby Boomer generation and fueled by WW2, Mike Nelson and Sea Hunt. I know that I was. Now at 73, I've slowed down some, but still enjoy our global live aboard trips. I still dive regularly as a volunteer at the local aquarium twice a week and I'm off to there right now. To be continued....

Damn, a bunch of old divers ! A lot from the Baby Boomer generation and fueled by WW2, Mike Nelson and Sea Hunt. I know that I was. Now at 73, I've slowed down some, but still enjoy our global live aboard trips. I still dive regularly as a volunteer at the local aquarium twice a week and I'm off to there right now. To be continued....
Don’t forget the great movies by Jacques Cousteau! Those movies and the books that went with them had a big influence on me. They helped inspire me to major in Biology! They call us Baby Boomers, but I’m in the subset that can be called the Jacques Cousteau Generation.
🐸

Until I can no longer safely dive. I'm 77 and have gotten to the point where cold water diving in enough neoprene to stay warm is difficult and exhausting. So, I got a couple 19 cf ponys and rigged them to clip onto a belt so I can wear a 3mm and monkey dive shallow. I still plan on shore diving Bonaire & Curacao and slowly shifting to diving from boats in warm water. Once that's not possible I'll still snorkel.
That makes two of us. I have been diving since the mid 60's and am currently working in Indonesia designing wet submersibles for an Indonesian company. We have outstanding waters here.

Stay safe.

I plan to keep diving for as long as I am enjoying it and am fit enough to do it safely. As to the enjoyment, I don't see that diminishing as I age. As to the fitness, I work hard to stay fit and healthy. I hope that allows me to dive well into my 80s assuming I am blessed to live that long. If I reach a point where, due to health reasons, I am either no longer enjoying it or feel I can no longer do it safely, I will hang up my fins. Hoping that is not for another 20-30 years (I'm currently 59).

I am 74, I dive less often, Still go to Channel Islands a couple times per year, Monterey once or twice and do a couple warm water multiple dive trips each year but I am feeling my limits. I no longer dive our "rugged coast in Sonoma County, too hard on my knees.
3 years ago I was caught in a down current and must have come up too fast. l spent 5 hours in a decompression chamber and overnight in the hospital. Because of my age, they had to do testing for a stroke--I didn't have one. I was advised not to dive deeper than 60 ft. I try to stay under 100 ft. I don't know when I will stop diving. I will just do less, and stick to warmer water (mostly)

I'm 82, headed off for a 10-day liveaboard in Thailand in March, two more dive trips this year after that.
3-4 dives a day (on Nitrox) is plenty these days, happy with just two. Used to go for 5-6 a day in Bonaire!
Slower up the ladders, have stopped doing deep tech and caves (really do need to sell all that equipment).
No plans to stop....the desire to dive motivates my health concerns and exercise routines.

I Think I'll quit when I can't get up the ladder with my equipment on.

I still play hoops with 30 yr olds, even as I've reached "AARP starting to hound me age." I see a few more years of that before I give it up or find an old-timers group.

There will be a time when I will no longer feel comfortable diving the sportiest local dives, specifically North Monastery with its rough surf. But I hope that Breakwater or McAbee on calm days I can dive even when Im getting geriatric.

I wonder if the 2 hour drive will be the limiting factor. Then I can dive on vacation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom