How often to grease the O ring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My camera and housing aren't near as expensive as the ones yall are using. All I have a digtal canon and canon housing, total package maybe $500. I think I have greased the o-ring maybe 4 times in the last year and half. I normally only grease it before I am go on a trip. I pretty much open the housing everyday to switch batteries. Maybe I ahve just been lucky so far.

MichaelBaranows:
My camera and housing aren't near as expensive as the ones yall are using. All I have a digtal canon and canon housing, total package maybe $500. I think I have greased the o-ring maybe 4 times in the last year and half. I normally only grease it before I am go on a trip. I pretty much open the housing everyday to switch batteries. Maybe I ahve just been lucky so far.

Yeap.. lucky.. Just a matter of time. Doesn't mean you will lhave a full flood, but you may end up with a small leak that you might get away with. Just a matter of, do you want to gamble with it or not.

Incidently, I remove all o-rings between trips and store them in plastic bags. So, no, I don't grease them again until they are going to be put back on the camera housing.

This always an interesting discussion - everyone seems to maintain o-rings a bit differently. I didn't notice the o-ring colors mentioned except on the Seaquest. This is an important factor. Different colors means different maintenance. Black is buna/neoprene, which requires a good quality silicone grease occasionally (once a week, once a trip, when they start to appear dry, etc). Red/orange is silicone which requires no grease, but should be lubricated for installation. Any type of grease will eventually ruin a silicone o-ring. Grease is not the only type of lubrication. Spit or water works just fine on a silicone o-ring. The more you play with silicone seals the more they will stretch, eventually to the point where they must be replaced. Removing o-rings for storage because you're afraid of permanent compression is not necessary. It's a non problem. If you're really concerned about this why don't you remove ALL the o-rings in the housing (all the little control shaft rings for example) for storage? These little guys basically remain compressed for their lifetime & no one seems concerned. How long was your housing sitting on a shelf somewhat all closed up with o-rings in place before your bought it? Just think about it. Don't remove o-rings unless its really necessary to clean them. Just remember - if it isn't broke don't fix it. Life will be much easier.

Hmmm. I seem to be in the minority. I have about 75 dives on the existing O-ring in my PT-030. I open the case between dives on multidive days to change memcards, batteries or download pix, then seal it back up. I visually inspect the o-ring after each opening and before any dive, and might apply a very small amount of grease if it feels "dry" when rubbing my finger lightly over it. This also lets me feel any little contaminates, which sometimes is easier than seeing them. When not being used, I keep the O-ring in the housing and the case latched. I figure the less it is handled and put in/taken out, the less chance of it stretching, getting nicked, or not sealing properly. So far so good.

jcclink:
Removing o-rings for storage because you're afraid of permanent compression is not necessary. It's a non problem.
Subal manual: "O-ring material loses elasticity prematurely if it is permanently compressed."
If you're really concerned about this why don't you remove ALL the o-rings in the housing (all the little control shaft rings for example) for storage? These little guys basically remain compressed for their lifetime & no one seems concerned. How long was your housing sitting on a shelf somewhat all closed up with o-rings in place before your bought it?
Subal manual: "The useful life of O-rings is limited in duration depending on care, frequency of use and storage conditions."
It goes on to say, "Have your equipment overhauled from time to time by the manufacturer."

The reason for the periodic overhaul is to replace all the little guys.

vladimir:
Subal manual: "O-ring material loses elasticity prematurely if it is permanently compressed."
Subal manual: "The useful life of O-rings is limited in duration depending on care, frequency of use and storage conditions."
It goes on to say, "Have your equipment overhauled from time to time by the manufacturer."

The reason for the periodic overhaul is to replace all the little guys.

Thank you for replying with this.. saved me the trouble.. This is also why you should have those "little o-rings" all replaced and serviced on your housing every so often. Because they DO need to be replaced and people that don't wonder why they get floods.

Anyhow, to each their own.. I am comfortable with my practices and I don't get floods..

The knowledgable guys at FishEye Photo on Bonaire told me that anytime you break the seal on the housing, the o-ring must come out and be cleaned and lubricated before resealing. First, clean the o-ring and the housing with a soft piece of cloth. Take a tiny dab of silicone in between your forefinger and thumb and pull the o-ring between them until the entire loop is lubricated. Remove any excess, though there shouldn't be any excess if you use the appropriate amount. Insert the o-ring back into the case and reseal with camera inside. Check for leaks by holding the housing underwater in the sink. Don't open the housing until you can get the camera back into a sterile environment (NOT the beach!) and once you crack the seal, repeat the process. Incidentally, my camera/ housing manual says the same thing.

Good to see so many options for this very simple thing :)

It must be terribly confusing to those without experience. Do it, don't do it. Clean it & grease it. Clean it and don't grease it. Leave it in. Take it out. LOL

You've got to figure out what works for you and your gear, look for advice from those you trust and be sensible about things.

Orings don't last forever, debris will get on them and they love a gentle touch. Be aware of the needs of your o-rings, no matter how anyone else does theirs, and you should be pretty good to go.

I fully agree with a complete overhaul every 1-2 yrs depending on use. I just don't agree that permanent compression is an issue over that period. Interesting how different manufacturers tell us different procedures for the same issue. Most all of my experience has been with neoprene o-rings, but I have had a Gates video housing for several years that has a red/orange silicone main o-ring (the others are all buna/neoprene). I treat it the same as my Nexus, except I just spit on the main ring.

As another thought how many of us have a COMPLETE set of o-rings for their housings just in case Murphy is your diving buddy? (If you have em you never need em.)

jcclink:
I fully agree with a complete overhaul every 1-2 yrs depending on use. I just don't agree that permanent compression is an issue over that period. Interesting how different manufacturers tell us different procedures for the same issue.
I think you are correct--compression is probably a non-issue over a year, maybe two. The real lesson of this thread, as Alcina alluded to, is to use the suggestions of your owner's manual. Subal's O-rings, for example, are softer than others, and require different care and different lube.

As another thought how many of us have a COMPLETE set of o-rings for their housings just in case Murphy is your diving buddy? (If you have em you never need em.)
I do bring a complete set of spares. I also change them fairly frequently. They're not cheap, but compared to the cost of a 10-day liveaboard, the cost is pretty trivial.

Back
Top Bottom