How often to grease the O ring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nismo

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
How often do you add grease to the O ring. Each season? Every day you dive? Every month or so? I bought a camera and housing a few months ago. Used once so far. Going to try and get some dives in the next few weeks before the quarry gets too cold again and get some practice before Bonaire. Wanted to know what I should do about the housings O ring. Thanks.

Everyone seems to do it differently .I grease the O-ring whenever I open the housing and re-close it but thats me.

Nismo:
How often do you add grease to the O ring. Each season? Every day you dive? Every month or so? I bought a camera and housing a few months ago. Used once so far. Going to try and get some dives in the next few weeks before the quarry gets too cold again and get some practice before Bonaire. Wanted to know what I should do about the housings O ring. Thanks.

The most important thing is to make sure it is clean. You only need to greese it to often enough keep it from drying out. You don't want to greese it too often, or use too much greese as this will attract stuff to stick to the o-ring. Remember, the o-ring makes the seal, not the greese.

The morning of each dive day.
I try not to open during surface interval.

like Kevster said - at the beginning or each dive day, preferably at home and not on the boat (just to make sure you don't get any water accidentally).
we had an Oly New England representative come over to our school club to give a talk. He emphasized that only very slight amount of silicone grease is necessary to apply on the day of diving. He also said that 95% of leakages are due to user incompetance.
Also, the same is mentioned in Padi book for UW digital photography that I took.

i clean my o-rings and grooves after every dive and grease them the night before a dive. and get every thing ready for the next day. i will put the camera in the night of the dive. i really try not to open the camera housing on the boat or on a day dive. I also recommend bringing fresh water with you to rinse you housing off after each dive dive. note necessary but very recommended. the only time that i open the housing on a dive is if i am chaining lenses or am on a multi day trip and then i always check the o-ring and will add a little grease if needed. i also do not store the o-rings in the housing, i take all the main o-rings and store them clean in a zip lock bag.

I open my housing as needed. To change the card, or to change a lens.

I check my o-rings any time I open the housing, or a strobe. I make sure they are clean. I also dry off any water around the ring and groove whan every I open it.

I only greese them if they feel dry.

It also depends on where you store the housing. If in the garage, you will want to grease the o-rings more regularly. I store mine in my bedroom armoire - no isseus with hydrocarbons, heat and such.

Generally, apply the silicone grease very conservatively, then take your fingers and wipe off the excess.. works for me..

Have a blast in Bonaire!

Once a month or as Fisheyeview says when they feel dry. I store them between dives in a ziplock bag (inside the housing so I don't lose them).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom