How often do you replace o-rings in your housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fairybasslet

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I saw something from Olympus that suggested changing them every year. I do have back ups but only if one gets damaged. Do you recommend this or is this just a way for Oly to make more money?

Its their way of ensuring that you don't have a leak. Preventative Maintenance. Replace it before it fails. That being said I really can't say I do replace them on a real schedual.

alcina:
I replace them when needed, not on a time line.
What is your criteria for replacement being needed?

I have used the same O-ring in an Olympus PT-016 housing for about 200 dives over 3-1/2 years and haven't seen any reason to replace the main O-ring since it seems to still be just as flexible, and doesn't have any nicks, scrapes, or narrow sections.

I am getting to the point of getting a bit nervous about salt crystals building up around the little O-rings on the control buttons --- salt corrosion in that area tells me that there has been some seepage. It's been about 2 years since I've popped out and cleaned the control shaft seals.

Mine get replaced during it's annual service by Light & Motion.

This is probably the exception to the rule, but my Bonica 35mm camera and housing are 12 years old, and I'm still using the same O-ring because it is still flexible, with no cracks or other damage. It has never been lubricated since it was new.

It probably only has about 125 or so deep ocean dives on it, but when I store it, I store the housing opened up so the O-ring is not compressed. I also store it in an airtight bag, in a dark closet so it is not exposed to air, ozone, and UV rays. After dives, the entire camera/housing gets rinsed in fresh water before it is opened up to remove the film. It's also important to make sure you don't get hair, lent, or other foreign objects on the O-ring. Since the camera is old and cheap, I don't worry too much about the investment if the O-ring were to fail.

If it were a digital camera, I would give the O-ring a very thorough inspection and lubrication every year. The O-ring would be replaced at the slightest hint of getting stiff, changing colors, cracking, etc. For an expensive camera, the replacement of an O-ring is probably the best preventative maintenance.

In part it depends on the frequency with which you use the camera and the weather (humidity, temp) in your area.

I still have and am using the original o-rings that were in my housing when I bought it 6 years ago. Never have had to replace them. Have replaced the ones in my backup housing, but it sits on the shelf a lot of the time.

Strange... my video light bulbs are rated for 35 hours. I've only changed them once in 6 years of diving with the lights (250-300+ dive per year) and I use them on every dive.

On par with what everyone else is saying, O-rings in general need to be replaced if they are cracked, brittle, deformed, etc. It doesn't hurt to change them regularly, but it is not necessarily a requirement. You MUST, however inspect it before each dive and clean it regularly. Sand, debris, etc. can get in the groove and either allow water to pass or damage the seating surface which will allow water to pass. I lube mine after every couple of cleanings. Just enough to make it shiny. No more.

Have fun.

I have never changed mine.

I have never flooded. (me taunting fate)

It's been five years, it's time for a new camera. Is this wrong? I don't know what to hope for anymore.

Back
Top Bottom